CCC of existing Mavericks Installation on cMBP to new rMBP

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
Hi all,

I have just ordered a new rMBP 13" and I have an existing cMBP running Mavericks 10.9.1

If I make a CCC of my existing OS X partition and clone it to the new rMBP will it cause any issues?

The only thought in the back of my mind was that I heard that the rMBPs have a slightly modified version of the OS to deal with the retina display.

Is that true?

Cheers
Jon

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
The App store doesn't seem to indicate you get a model-specific file when you download OSX so I'd think not. Any specifics to the rMBP should be in firmware or drivers shipped with all post-release versions as for other supported hardware.

Ensure your old machine is updated before you clone it and I'd think you should be fine...

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
If I make a CCC of my existing OS X partition and clone it to the new rMBP will it cause any issues?
Yes, it will.
The only thought in the back of my mind was that I heard that the rMBPs have a slightly modified version of the OS to deal with the retina display.

Is that true?
That is true. You should use Migration Assistant to migrate your apps and files to the new computer, rather than clone it.

----------

The App store doesn't seem to indicate you get a model-specific file when you download OSX so I'd think not. Any specifics to the rMBP should be in firmware or drivers shipped with all post-release versions as for other supported hardware.

Ensure your old machine is updated before you clone it and I'd think you should be fine...
You can't download OS X for the late 2013 rMBP through the App Store. Presumably when 10.9.2 ships, you will be able to do so, but as of now the rMBP uses a later build of the OS than other computers.

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll take an image of my old MBP anyway but installing everything from scratch isn't a big issue and it does clean out any bugs that I may have dragged across.

thanks again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.