CCC of existing Mavericks Installation on cMBP to new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knuckleheadz, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Knuckleheadz macrumors member

Knuckleheadz

Hi all,

I have just ordered a new rMBP 13" and I have an existing cMBP running Mavericks 10.9.1

If I make a CCC of my existing OS X partition and clone it to the new rMBP will it cause any issues?

The only thought in the back of my mind was that I heard that the rMBPs have a slightly modified version of the OS to deal with the retina display.

Is that true?

Cheers
    Jon

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The App store doesn't seem to indicate you get a model-specific file when you download OSX so I'd think not. Any specifics to the rMBP should be in firmware or drivers shipped with all post-release versions as for other supported hardware.

Ensure your old machine is updated before you clone it and I'd think you should be fine...

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Yes, it will.
    That is true. You should use Migration Assistant to migrate your apps and files to the new computer, rather than clone it.

----------

You can't download OS X for the late 2013 rMBP through the App Store. Presumably when 10.9.2 ships, you will be able to do so, but as of now the rMBP uses a later build of the OS than other computers.

4. Knuckleheadz thread starter macrumors member

Knuckleheadz

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll take an image of my old MBP anyway but installing everything from scratch isn't a big issue and it does clean out any bugs that I may have dragged across.

thanks again :)