CCP National Reciprocity

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

So who supports this?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...high-hopes-for-national-reciprocity-bill.html

I agree with everything but one aspect. Even though I live in a "Constitutional Carry" state I still have a permit. You can't argue that a CCP should be like a DL but then allow for a state that might allow licensed driver to drive. You have to have that permit.

Otherwise I support such a law. The one reason I have is for a while when we would travel to FL in every state I went through I had legal reciprocity except for GA. The way their law was written mad it very unclear as to the legality of carrying through. So I made sure it was was locked and unloaded where I could not reach it. (No trunks in SUV's).

Keep in mind what is being proposed only applies between CCP states. So a state that doesn't issue them would not have to honor them.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We don't need a federal law for this. I thought Republican's supported state's rights?

3. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

So you would be OK with a state banning driver's from say OH (because they can't drive)? That would be a state right. And I can pretty much guarantee if states could get a way with it, everyone south of OH would ban them from driving in their state.

4. cube macrumors G5

I thought "CCCP", now that it is fashionable.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Your analogy is flawed.

If the state in question did not issue driver's licenses, and did not allow its own residents to drive, then it would not have to honor the driver's license of a driver from another state. If, however, the state in question DOES issue driver's licenses to its residents, then it has the option of recognizing (or not) licenses from other states.

I have an engineering license, but it's good only for my home state. I know several engineers who have licenses in multiple states, so that they can work on projects in those states. There's no automatic reciprocity.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've honestly lost the desire to care.

America will be the nation that experiments with libertarianism and guns, and I'm fine watching the results of that.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"Tenth Amendment - Reserved Powers. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Sounds like it's already covered.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You are right. We should not be messing with the state carry laws.

We should instead just go for Constitutional Carry, in support of the 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms, which the states have no power to impact.

The states only have rights that are not specifically assigned in the US Constitution anyway, so this silly state controlled carry law really isn't constitutional anyway.

I'm prepared for the Supreme Court challenge under a trump presidency.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I've actually wondered how interstate shipments of great value and/or high risk can be legally protected by armed guards.

Obviously a government entity could use Federal agents, which are generally exempted. What does a private entity do?

10. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I disagree. Using your example, my state issues DL's. Could they not ban DL's from neighboring states if they so chose? I realize they would be in violation of the DLA, but they could also drop out of it. With a CCP as some state recognize mine and some do not. Why should it be any different?

I don't have an engineering license, but I to have an Electrical License. While I need to be registered in neighboring states, all accept my current license as proof of meeting the requirements so I just have to pay the annual fee (it is really just a money grab).

11. thewitt, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Most of these guys are retired MPs or police and can carry in all 50 states as a result of HR 218. They are exempted from individual state requirements.

There is also a special exception for armored car companies, though qualifications are pretty strict.

12. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't have to be federal agents, just current or retired police officers are allowed to carry concealed in any jurisdiction regardless of local laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It isn't different. I suppose they COULD refuse to honor other driver's licenses. But they don't. That's what I was saying.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Given the nature of CHL people, why not? After all, I'm certified by my sheriff and the FBI as being as "pure" as any cop. And both Florida and Texas state police agencies laud us as being the least-arrested of any segment of the population.

15. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

You can't let facts like this get into the middle of an emotional debate. ;)

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

FL and TX must have a more trusting police than OH. Ours(Troopers) said something along the lines of "blood bath in the streets" and "will bring back the wild west".

17. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I do know that OH has mandatory notification. So if you get stopped, you must let them know you have a concealed weapon.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yep. It flashes a warning on their computers. So if you don't tell them they know anyways.

19. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if it alerts them for out of state drivers.

20. DrewDaHilp1, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Let me ask someone that might know.
    They've never pulled anyone over from out of State with a license.

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

But if the bill applies to "may issue" states, doesn't it effectively apply to all states?

22. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I retired out of California but moved to the Midwest. While qualified under HR218 I never felt the need to carry. To each their own, but I just don't get the infatuation some people have with it.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I don't see it as an infatuation. I see it as insurance. Hope I never have to use, but would rather have the option than not.
    There's a trooper in Arizona that I am sure is pretty glad that someone with a permit was driving by him two days ago.

24. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I would rather have my right to carry and not exercise it.

25. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

No problem. As I said, to each their own.