Cctv

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Topher15, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Hi guys... I would really appreciate it if you could answer the following questionnaire regarding a uni design project.

1. What do you think of terms like "police state" and "big brother." Are they valid descriptions of society? Why/why not?

2. What is your opinion of CCTV cameras? When/where are they appropriate? What is their purpose? What are the pros and cons?

3. Do CCTV cameras make you feel more safe? Or do they make you feel claustrophobic/untrustworthy/constantly being observed?

4. How do you think design can best be used to encourage people to engage with political and social issues?

5. What do you think it the best way to use design to challenge people; to make people think about and explore an issue?

6. Do you think design can invoke intense emotions and/or reactions (such as pain or discomfort), simply through observation? If so how/in what way?

7. In what way do you think the same work (whatever it is) can lead to conflict, such as people reaching different/opposing conclusions about the same piece of work.

8. As part of my work I intend to create a model of a CCTV camera that gives the illusion of following the observer. In what ways do you think this will have the most impact? Think context, scale, location, form, medium, etc, etc.

Thanks for your help.

:cool: :apple: :)

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

They make me feel untrusted and they do not make me feel safe.

With that said they certainly have their use. Cameras on the dash in police cars and a mic on their person is a good thing. Certainly a good tool in prosecuting police abuse and defending against false accusations.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Can you be a little more specific about what you mean by design? Because you are asking questions that engage (public) space, I am thinking architectural design, but then I'm not sure if that' what you mean.

Otherwise, police state? C.f. global summits from 99 onward especially. C.f. the USA post-depression (especially).

Big Brother - never seen it. ;)

CCTV. = state domination of public space. c.f. Michel Foucault (discipline).

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

1. UK or US or....? I would say that a big brotherish movement has been going on ever since WWI when the UK, the US and Canada all began to require identification for military recruitment purposes.

2. I think they have their uses and are appropriate in a wide range of situations and places, however, there has been precious little public involvement in their placement and monitoring. There are simply too many people on this planet not to have CCTV, but there needs to be a public watchdog.

3. It really depends upon where they're being used. At public transit areas, yes, in quasi private areas, no. CCTV is only another tool and at this point in its evolution, an imperfect one. Safety is a state of mind, not a lens and miles of cables.

4. Your king in waiting has some good points when he says we need to build to "human scale". So much of the vanity architecture of the last 20 years has little or nothing to do with humanity and everything to do with autocad gone mad.

The US learned a big lesson on the Vietnam Memorial. The vets themselves wanted a statue of men, the winning design, a big black gash in the soil, allowed people to touch the names of those who died. The ability to interact with design is paramount. Too much of design simply alienates the public by being inaccessible.

5. By making it accessible and real and human based. Too much design is bandied about as "art" where "art" is an ill-defined, personal experience that may or may not be recognizable to other people. Design has a duty to engage people.

6. Not on its own. Design needs a reason to do so. The Vietnam Memorial in WA DC is an excellent example.

7. Not really sure what you mean. I think two of the biggest reasons for conflict are cost over runs and traditionalism vs modernism. Once again, the fight over the Vietnam memorial is a prime example.

8. I'll bet that you'd end up with a lot of vandalism! People simply don't like to be followed.