Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FunkyPurple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Somewhere in Uptown
I looked through these forums and didn't find anyone who's had a similar issue.

I'm on a G4 running OSX 10.3. I'm simply trying to burn a cd with Toast 6 which I've done many times before. I inserted an audio cd into the cd/dvd-rom drive and the disk does not appear on the desktop at all. It's the second time I've had this problem. But if I insert the disk into my cd burner drive, it shows up fine on my desktop. Only thing is...how am I able to burn it if it only appears when I put it in my cd burner drive?

Is there some software that I can use to back up my cd's to then be able to burn it with Toast???

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
You can tell Toast to copy your CD using your burner as source drive. Toast will copy the CD fine, using your hard drive to temporarely back up the audio. You just have to change your audio CD for a blank one when Toast tells you to.

Good luck!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
FunkyPurple said:
I looked through these forums and didn't find anyone who's had a similar issue.

I'm on a G4 running OSX 10.3. I'm simply trying to burn a cd with Toast 6 which I've done many times before. I inserted an audio cd into the cd/dvd-rom drive and the disk does not appear on the desktop at all. It's the second time I've had this problem. But if I insert the disk into my cd burner drive, it shows up fine on my desktop. Only thing is...how am I able to burn it if it only appears when I put it in my cd burner drive?

Is there some software that I can use to back up my cd's to then be able to burn it with Toast???
You could always open Disk Utility, select the offending disk, and click Mount as a workaround if a disk won't appear when inserted. This works for any disk, not just CDs. Another thing you could try is making a disk image of the CD you want to copy, then using Disk Utility's (or Toast's) "burn image" feature to back up the image. You can delete the image afterwards.

FunkyPurple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Somewhere in Uptown
I tried all these things and the thing that worked ultimately was instead of using my cd/dvd-rom drive, I used my dvd burner drive as my main drive and my cd burner to burn. go figure...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.