CD ripping for hidden or "out of bounds" tracks - can it be done?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by allan_zip, Mar 10, 2008.

1. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

I'm wanting to rip some tracks from my cd collection, specifically a number of tracks that are "out of bounds" in terms of standard cd mastering. These are tracks that are hidden at the start of a cd before the first marked track ie. you insert your disc into a cd player, press play, then scan back and a track can be found before track 1. I have a few of these and what is really frustrating is that they never show up on any of my ripping software, the best i've managed is to get a message from Max that says there is a track that is "out of bounds" but it does not include it in the encoding panel so therefore can't rip it. iTunes can't spot them and neither can xAct.
    Does anybody have some kind of workaround for this to get a clean rip of these tracks? Keen to see if anyone can help me out on this one.

2. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Have you tried browsing the cd in finder?
    If that fails you could spdif/toslink into the your mac's digital in.

3. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

Yeah, nothing shows up in finder, i tried TinkerTool to reveal hidden files but no dice. There's no digital in on my MacBook either.

4. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

That is a nuisance. The line in should double as a digital in when using a toslink cable, well it is on my imac anyway.