CDC “Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence”:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 9, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhs...-asked-about-defensive-gun-uses/#371430c299aa

THERE you go.

2. cube macrumors P6

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

As much as guns kill I also think they save. Criminals are always going to get a hold of guns. Just because all guns are gone doesn’t mean criminals won’t have them.

If you don’t have a gun you’re as good as dead. Not saying having a gun automatically means you’ll live but it gives you a fighting chance.

4. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

For me a number of years back it was family saving.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2019 ---
    It gives you options and tools that can be beneficial.

6. cube macrumors P6

Yes, sometimes it would have been useful, but what is the percentage?

Then you can compare how many people get saved by their guns against how many are victims of them.

I don't see accidents mentioned either.

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

No idea without doing some digging. For me, that one time was more than enough.

8. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

nrvna76

To what end? What does the comparison provide?

9. cube macrumors P6

It could show that even if some people are saved by their own guns, more would be if they were all banned.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Take a look (carefully) at what it says:

Survey.

You know what that word means? It means they called people up on the telephone and asked them about how they used their guns.

Now, even assuming that people are being truthful about the use of their weapons, a careful analysis of many of the responses suggests that the way in which people claim they used their firearms was either illegal, dangerous, or highly inappropriate.

People claimed to have pulled their guns out to stop neighbours playing loud music or parking in front of their house. People claimed to have threatened ex-girlfriends and co-workers with guns. And felt - with little justification - that this was appropriate.

People lie and brag in surveys. And a one-in-a-thousand fantasy, suddenly becomes 300,000 defensive firearms uses per year.

That's how statistics work, in a country of 300 million people.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You’re as good as dead if criminals intent on murder invade your home which almost never happens.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Stephen Willeford is the reason nobody deserves to have their guns taken away... the mother of the Sandy Hook shooter is the reason people should be charged as an accessory because of unsafe weapon storage.

Willfully ignoring gun safety and storage should be more of the conversation... not banning Stephen Willeford from owning his AR15.

13. statik13, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019

statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

I've seen these pro gun arguments a hundred times on this site. The biggest take away I have is that if you live in fear of everything around you, then you don't own the gun. The gun owns you.

No thanks.

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

No one lives in fear when you have a gun by your side ;)

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apart from your families.

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

I suppose you don’t have a security system at your house either? Probably no lock on your door too? Car left unlock at all times?

I only say that since you seem to imply that you don’t live in fear…

17. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

nrvna76

That’s where I thought you were going. I don’t see the logistics of how it would even work, nor do I think people who intend to break the law would obey that law.

18. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

And people who attend schools, or music concerts, or garlic festivals, or shop at walmart, or just those walking down the street.

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

You’re far more likely to die in a car crash should we ban all cars?

20. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

So on one hand you're saying we all need a gun to be safe, and on the other hand you're saying that gun crime is so rare that we are far more likely to die in a car crash?

Something doesn't add up there.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How can my family be harmed by the locks and security systems? The worst case scenario is they get annoyed by a faulty alarm system.

That isn’t true. You aren’t far more likely to die in a car crash. Besides cars have continuously improving safety features.

22. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Here is the issue: the availability of gun are the problem, not the solution unless you like living in the Wild West. The world wide statistics of gun violence illustrates this. You are not going to be able to protect even a substantial fraction of the 30k people killed by guns each year with your gun, but it may make you may feel safer. So whoopee, you can exist in this fantasy and think you are safe, but the bad guys with guns, if you don’t think they are not calculating that fact you may have a gun, then just be prepared for when your gun safety fantasy pops. Average people are not mentally prepared for a life and death gun fight and can be surprised at any time.

Better to restrict them (guns)... substantially and meaningfully.

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

I never said you neeeed a gun to be safe. I said it doesn’t hurt your chances of being safe. If you go re read my initial post, I said having a gun doesn’t automatically guarantee you’ll be coming out alive.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2019 ---

Okay let’s say for arguments sake. All guns are gone. Do you think criminals won’t be able to access illegal guns?

24. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

I did not say ban all guns. I am talking about availability of guns. The issue is guns in the wrong hands and easy access to guns. Look at the statistics of comparable countries who restrict gun ownership. We are basically unique with the gun violence problem, and the numbers and frequencies of mass shootings is on the steady increase.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes. In the vast majority of cases outside gangs in major cities.