CDMA iPhone unlocked (Sprint/Verizon) looking to get.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Sep 11, 2013.

1. PracticalMac, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I want to get an unlocked CDMA phone (Sprint/Verizon), but it seems Apple only sells GSM types (CDMA disabled).

Am I right in thinking my only option is a used (Sprint/Verizon) Jail-broken iPhone?
    Or an unlocked by Sprint/Verizon also possible?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The sprint won't be unlocked just like it never was. You need to find a Verizon one to be sure you can use it with any gsm carrier.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

The Verizon model will be compatible with Verizon's CDMA network and GSM unlocked by default right out of the box.

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I thought they did?

So that's the best way to go, Verizon and then go GSM by swapping out SIM?
    I gather no Sprint compatibility.

I also thought the Sprint version will also have unlocked SIM slot.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No.

The Sprint iPhone does not come unlocked. You CAN get it unlocked, but only for INTERNATIONAL use and ONLY if you meet Sprint's requirements. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL SPRINT EVER UNLOCK FOR DOMESTIC USE.

It's just NOT their policy.

See above. ^^

Sprint's requirements:
    1. Customer with active line on Sprint for 90 days.
    2. Pay your bill on time

Meet both of those requirements and you can have your Sprint iPhone unlocked for INTERNATIONAL use ONLY!

There is no commercial unlock. There is no third party unlock. There is no workaround. It's locked for domestic US use - period.

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

(thanks)

Interesting, sounds like even the SIM is locked (unlike Verizon).

I read of one company that has a method for unlocking any iPhone, but maybe that works only for GSM...

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No idea about that company. All I know is that there has yet to be any legitimate domestic unlock for Sprint iPhones.

It's a database of IMEI numbers and Sprint has every IMEI of every iPhone it's bought from Apple recorded and blocked from being in that domestic unlock database.

On the other hand, even should Sprint ever allow it, realistically, what carrier could you take your unlocked Sprint iPhone to? Possibly T-Mobile, but I don't think LTE would work and Verizon does not share the same bands as Sprint so that's out. Certainly unlocking would give you access to the GSM side, but I don't know if the Sprint iPhone has the same bands in common with AT&T or not.

8. Fdfan100 macrumors member

Based on the specs sheet, i'm gonna go for the Verizon model. Not only should it be unlocked, it has the proper bands to run on AT&T and T-Mobile LTE network. Currently on T-Mobile but will go back to Verizon end of this year to take over my sister's unlimted data plan. I'm going to buy my 5S from the apple store. So if it doesn't work out, I'll just return it.

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I see, so like AT&T and T-Mo, the bands used on Sprint are not the same as Verizon even though they both use CDMA scheme.
    It sounds theoretically you will get connection, but at slower (2G? 3G?) speeds.

A Verizon iP5 with AT&T/T-mo not receive LTE but will get 4G? Or limited to 3G?

Pretty sure the limitations are due to antennas, as the Qualcomm chip supports most of the bands.

10. seecoolguy macrumors regular

seecoolguy

So I know the iPhone5 has the unlocked sim, but will the 5S also have it unlocked?