Celebrate Christmas?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xodonniedarko, Dec 13, 2007.

1. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

I'm just wondering who here does NOT celebrate Christmas.

And if you don't, does it HONESTLY offend you when there are 'Christmas Sales', 'Christmas Breaks,' 'Christmas Trees', 'Christmas Decorations,' or things that say 'Merry Christmas?'.

If you're one of the 10% of people that doesn't celebrate Christmas (or WHATEVER you do on December 25), why do you care?

I need your input on this. I want to see what the big deal is.

Another thing.
    Put up a public Nativity scene and people flip out. But WHO is honestly flipping out about things like this? The Jews don't care, because they believe in Jesus (just not as the son of God), the Christians don't care, obviously, the Catholics don't care, the Athiests shouldn't care because it doesn't concern them anyways - so if no one cares, then WHO is making the big fuss?

And what if Christmas disappeared? Imagine what would happen. The economy would fail. The ornament making companies, the wrapping paper companies, the people who sell Christmas Trees, the Christmas Card companies, and why would people even bother spending thousands of dollars on their family buying them gifts, if there were no Holiday to give it for?

And if you don't 'celebrate' Christmas because you don't believe in the Christmas STory (and no, not the one that is on TNT 24 hours on Christmas day), what does it matter - you're still following the same traditions.

And the whole ordeal about some dude in Wisconsin trying to change it to the HOLIDAY Tree, bullcrap. Whether or not you celebrate Christmas doesn't matter. The CHRISTMAS TREE was made for CHRISTMAS, and if you're using it for another Holiday, t hat is too bad. We didn't make it for your holiday, we made it for CHRISTMAS. And that should be accepted.

And watch this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwuXgJ6VQa8&eurl=http://www.brainshavings.com

I'm expecting so much hate for this.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

The world is full of people twunts who are inconsolable whiners with nothing better to do that bitch about trivial things. Misery loves company.

There are four letters I think of in these situations **** ;) :D

p.s. that video was funny

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can't wait for the first Kwaanza Sale, brotha!!

Or maybe people should just participate in the holiday season. Just treat it as a great big holiday, and forget about the religious part of it. Most people do. Even I, an Atheist, am happy to celebrate Christmas. I just don't say "Merry Christmas" with any sort of religious vigour behind the words. Meaningless, except as a happy gesture during the holidays.

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I believe they are actually Family Trees now.

Do the idiots realize that instead of saying Holiday Tree instead Christmas (Christ's Mass) Tree they are just saying "Holy Day" Tree. It really annoys me.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That was a good video.

I dont celebrate christmas, but I don't get offended when people do say things like Merry christmas or have a nativity display out. I just move along because there is nothing to see here...

I DO get offended if people try to force me into something christmas related after I politely say "No thanks."

6. xodonniedarko thread starter macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

I just hate that people, instead of ignoring Christmas, are trying to take the holiday and change it. It wasn't made for people to change - you guys can ignore it and refuse to celebrate it, but I will not tolerate people celebrating it and STILL hating it. It's ridiculous.

You don't see us messing with Kwanzaa and Hanuka, so stay away from Christmas!

7. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Honestly, what's the point of this thread xodonniedarko? If it was to find out who doesn't celebrate Christmas, I'd see your point. But you immediately went on a rant about how you hate those people. You're just asking for this to turn into a flame war. :confused:

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, I don't celebrate Christmas. And no, I don't get offended, but I get VERY annoyed. Is it that hard for you to not make assumptions on what I celebrate and just say "Happy Holidays?" I don't go around telling everyone "Happy Hanukkah" unless I know they're Jewish, so don't tell me "Merry Christmas" unless you know I'm Christian.

Oh, and yes, I do also have a problem with things like nativity scenes on government property. Not because it offends me, but because I like it when our government upholds a little piece of paper called the Constitution.

9. xodonniedarko thread starter macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

I'm not ranting about how I hate the people who don't celebrate Christmas, I'm just annoyed about how they're trying to CHANGE my Holiday. I guess I'm just a tad upset about it all.

And I'm just wondering why people are trying to change the name of the Christmas Tree?! :confused: Isn't that a tad absurd?

Ahhh I'm not trying to flame anyone.
    I guess I"m just a little 'rawresraiyruer'

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

At least we acknowledge your holiday exists :rolleyes:

11. xodonniedarko thread starter macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

But does it offend or annoy you when there are things with the Christmas label, rather than the Holiday label?

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Depends on the thing. Christmas trees, christmas lights, christmas stockings, etc, no I don't have a problem with those labels. But if you have a Christmas sale? Don't expect me to shop at your store.

14. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I don't really mind public displays of Christmas Trees and the such. In fact I celebrate Christmas, but mostly just because my family does. I'm not much of a celebratory person. I like to keep to myself. However, I must agree with yg17 that we shouldn't have religious displays (nativity scences) on gov't property.

15. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I DARE someone to try to tell ME I can't use my Festivus pole for Festivus, and that my Festivus pole offends their delicate sensibilities.

They do that, and they will find a Festivus pole approaching their head at maximum velocity.

Happy Festivus!

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

That's pretty ironic as some consider the timing and traditions of Christmas to be largely based on pagan rituals around the winter solstice... :p

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Screw Christmas; take it back to its pagan roots and celebrate it for what it truly is, which is the returning of the sun after the winter solstice. I'm glad to see the way most people treat it in the UK, which is a time to chill out, drink, give gifts, scoff food and be with your friends and family.

Bacchanalia, yeah? Yeah.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

http://upc.*************/uploads/gifs/applausev2.gif

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I wholeheartedly agree...

And that's what nice about the Norwegian language: We say "God Jul!", and jul can both mean the pre-Christan celebration as well as the mass for a certain troublemaker :)p).

20. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I don't see what the big deal is. If I were a Christian, I'd be pretty happy if retailers stop using the word "christmas" to sell me crap I don't want or need.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Pretty much what I think. Stop using my holy days as an excuse to sell your cheap built Chinese crap!

Also, as a Christian, I get offended when people want to call it a Holiday Tree (that's just retarded) or Family Tree (just as dumb). When are the corporations going to realize that you simply can't please everyone? If you don't believe in it, don't celebrate it.

And don't think I won't say Merry Christmas to anyone I see. I really don't care if I offend you. Get ... over ... it.

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why? The tree has nothing to do with Christianity… Now if they started adding advertisements in between the Nine Lessons and Carols or stopping you from attending Midnight Mass… but a tree? :confused: ;)

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Isn't it interesting how most of the major Western holidays/holy days coincide with ancient seasonal cycles and pagan rites? Particularly how they manage to screw it up in translation. Absolutely hilarious.

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the tree a part of the pagan celebration of Dec. 25?

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've never understood why some people gets upset when others are just trying to be pleasant. I live in a very Jewish area of LA and sometimes get "Happy Hanukkah" when I pass people on the sidewalk and I'll say "Happy Hanukkah" back even though I don't celebrate Hanukkah. People are just trying to be friendly, sheesh.

When I was in Germany and the locals greeted me with "Guten Tag" I didn't get pissy 'cause they didn't speak to me in English.

Lethal