Celebrating 50 years of Apollo 8 Earthrise picture

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Tigger11, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

I had a copy of the Earthrise picture on my wall for a long, long time, though I didnt understand at the time my father got it for me, why it was such a remarkable picture. As a military brat, it was one of the first things i would unpack and put in my new room at the various bases. I think my original is gone or maybe still in some box at the parents house. Thanks to Bill Anders for the picture.
    -Tig

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

An astonishing and awe-inspiring photograph.

4. smorrissey macrumors 65816

Guys have a question for the experts, which are the original colors of that picture? i mean seeing it with the astronauts eyes, exactly the same colors? Somebody once told me things in space are pretty much black and white.

5. Tigger11 thread starter macrumors 6502

The picture shown here, was taken in color and is pretty correct color wise, the moon looks greener originally, its been color corrected now to correct for tint on the windows and maybe lens filter. The actual first picture they took as the earth started rising was in black in white because it was taken with black and white film while Lovell was tearing apart the capsule looking for a roll of color film, despite being the 4 loop around the moon its first time they got an earthrise out one of the windows so it kind of hit them unaware. Late last year the large and previously unnamed crater on the moon that you can see in the picture was named Anders Earthrise.
    -Tig

6. smorrissey, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019

smorrissey macrumors 65816

Got it so all the colors on that picture are correct, that's how will they look if i were there seeing all with my own eyes.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2019 ---
    BTW, taken today... Dark side of the moon or Far side of the moon...

[​IMG]

7. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Lies, this was shot in a Hollywood studio, y'all brainwashed by NASA, earth is FLAT, think with your own brain...!!.!!!

Just kidding! Great picture. Love it. For some reason in my youtube recommendations a flat earth video popped up boy was that whack! Oh and the comments defending it were just hilarious! Whenever you are down because you just screwed up at a test and you feel like the dumbest person on earth you should watch and read something like that. You will instantly feel way better knowing there is someone out there who is way dumber.

8. smorrissey macrumors 65816

Still there are some guys out there arguing that new soil is brown not grey like NASA's.