Cell phone tracking and user expectation of privacy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Feb 11, 2010.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The article goes pretty long, so I'm not going to try and describe the whole thing, but the general question is one of whether or not cell phone users have an expectation of privacy regarding the location of their cell phones.

My view is that the position taken by the administration sounds like something the Cheney administration would have proposed. I can understand disclosure following a court ordered subpoena, but to propose that we have no expectation of privacy seems to dangerous trade off of freedom of movement in the name of national security. It just doesn't pass my King George test (would it have been the kind of thing that KGIII would have pushed through that would have spurred the Revolution)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Mobile phone users should have an expectation of privacy unless they are making an emergency call. In which case their mobile phone location is useful if they don't know where they are (either because they are in an earthquake or something or because they aren't sure how to describe their location).

3. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

As long as the Bush administration abrogated privacy rights, then it is ok for this or future administrations to do likewise. Isn't that what we've decided - that if a conservative/Republican administration has done something bad, then we shouldn't be bothered or debate it when a liberal/Democrat administration does likewise?

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree. The FBI and other agencies should be able to obtain records with a bench-issued warrant. Such a process would allow for the FBI (or other agency) to ascertain location with a "sanity check" process which should help mitigate abuses.

Someone should be able to explain why they need such information and I would expect the same requirements of credit card transactions, EZ pass transactions, etc.

The important aspect here to to insure that another branch of government is actively engaged in it's watchdog role.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

For those of us that still have them, there is an expectation of privacy with respect to our home phones well enshrined in law. As more and more people are using cell phones as their primary phone, I fail to see why this protection cannot be extended to cell phone usage. Surrendering our protections to make the government's task at hand easier is a bad idea.

6. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

This is so stupid. What about the location of your land phones? OMG, I'm never gonna get one of those stupid voice transmitters because then ppl will know where I live! If you really want to be elusive, you will find many ways to "evade" the grid...as many have...assuming you want that lifestyle. Otherwise, some ppl just think they are too important that others actually give a crap about what they are doing. :rolleyes:

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think that will cell phones we have a reasonable expectation of privacy. That means with out a warrent out location, or calls can not be tracked.

On landlines they can not get your call records unless you are dead, or have a warrant for it. Pretty much reasonable things.
    Our cell location and call records should not be given out unless there is a warrant or missing person. For missing person there is a police report to so a none issue there. Criminal get a warrant.
    As bad as it sounds all the criminal cases that they used location based on the cell phones to find them need to have the cases thrown out because it was not legal how the police got that information.

I feel this information on cell phones is protected under the 4th amendment and if not that one then at least the 14th

8. 184550 Guest

I think that someone would have to be extremely trusting and/ or very naive to think that cell phones are private.