Cellular for home internet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MioPomo, Mar 14, 2015.

1. MioPomo macrumors member

What is the best cellular solution for use as home internet?

Everyone has cut the cord when it comes to cable TV and home phone service, but it seems no one is yet jumping to do the same when it comes to home internet.

I'm guessing this is mostly due to price? Perhaps speed (throttling / data limits)?

My household uses would be:
    • streaming TV and movies (via Apple TV)
    • regular internet use (the modern internet is picture heavy)
    • occasional work use (may include file transfers of 10s-of-MB)
    • streaming music (pandora, spotify)
    • online gaming (via PS4)

All of this stuff is what people do on their phones and tablets over cellular already, so why not use cell networks for devices with larger screens?

I am considering this because the wired internet to my building is unreliable and just want to know what my other options are.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Until three uk stopped the tethering on my one plan I was tethering for my home internet.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

it's a cost and limitations thing. Wired broadband usually doesn't have a usage cap in the U.S. so if you do a lot of streaming video and such, you probably win.

Prepaid blocks of data would be great for light users of home internet but the U.S. tends more towards postpaid plans with caps and overage charges.

It's just not really cheap. I am traveling now and a 2.5GB/30 day prepaid smartphone plan is ~$20, and that would only cover a few streamed movies.

B

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

What's the plan for updating OS or downloading apps over 100MB?

5. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I do it. I have an unlimited data plan from verizon and I dropped the minutes to a 30 minute loyalty plan so the total comes to $45 per month plus tax. I put the sim in a netgear mbr1515 router and bought a proband repeater antenna and use that for my home internet. I average around 100gb per month

6. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

That's not entirely true LOTS of people have Cable TV more people have Cable TV than home phone.

7. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I actually cut the cord on Internet Service all together. Why pay $51.99 for internet when I can get it Free? I do everything you currently do and it works just fine (I use Xbox 360).

There are people that get 3G/4G data cards for their computers it's not uncommon, Just usually more expensive ($50 for 2GB-4GB data a month on most plans) And 3G/4G speeds are much slower than Cable or DSL speeds. I know this because I spent the better part of 4 months searching for a cheaper internet solution.

----------

That's actually not true. Cable Internet has around a 30GB monthly data cap and DSL Internet has about a 20GB Data Cap.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    In the US, those data caps are fairly rare, usually only enforced in select markets. On top of that, overage charges aren't all that expensive, especially when compared to mobile internet.

9. illusionx macrumors 6502

Cellular for home internet?

Caps in Canada are typically 75-150gb for both Cable and DSL. However, resellers offer unlimited and 300gb for the same price than the big3 in Canada.

LTE is actually faster than most affordable broadband connection though!

10. Gav2k, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

iTunes or if there are two people in the house on the same plan then you just tether to them and download but that was my situation.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Where in the US is that true? We don't do anything out of the ordinary and we use 300-400GB per month on cable.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's the thing. LTE is pretty fast, and, unlike cable and fiber, is available just about everywhere.

But hell, what's the use of all that speed if you're only able to watch two movies on Netflix before you've reached your cap?

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Apparently Comcast is rolling out a 300GB cap on most plans with 50GB/$10 overage charges.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/15/technology/comcast-data-limits/

B

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

15. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

We CTC for TV, and still using Comcast for internet - but in my mind, "cutting the cord" isn't so much not having any physical cable, a monthly cell/LTE service "tethers" you as much as a coax cable in terms of contract, etc.

Anyway, it's not an option for us at this point, due to exactly what you identified (a mix of price, speed, caps).

Yeah, those have been in place for some time, at least in FL and GA (where I know folks who have hit it).

We're on Comcast Biz class, so no cap (in addition to other perks) :cool:

16. illusionx macrumors 6502

LTE was more meant for loading pages and online apps quickly. 3-8mbit is all you need for Netflix, that's within 3G speed anyways.
    Radio streaming? EDGE can do the job.
    Data plans has only been increasing, and will continue to do so.
    50$ monthly plan used to get you 200mins and 500mb data. Today, you get unlimited calls and 1gb data. Not bad I would say for data on the go.
    It might be little if you use it for tethering..

17. MatthewLTL, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

The Cap for Charter Communications is 100GB-500GB if you exceede it (which charter says is virually impossible) they cut you off completely.

CenturyLink (DSL) provides you 150GB-250GB Cap.

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Link, because all I see is talk of 250GB caps that may or may not be enforced.
    20GB cap on a cable plan would be front page tech site news.

19. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

20. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

21. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

20GB cap is the new -60º F ...

:p

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

23. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

So I made a error? Big deal, obviously that link proves I was wrong unintentionally and I admit it.

----------

different thread, Keep it on topic

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No big deal at all. If some cable company is trying to pull off 20GB caps, I'd like to know about it!

25. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Reading this thread, I was curious what the average person uses for data at home. I have Time Warner Cable, and looked at my usage stats which I never even thought of looking at until now. In one month I used just north of 230GB. My usage includes web browsing, downloads (music, movies), Netflix, and streaming music. I doubt you could do that with a cellular chip for home use.