"Cellular plus WIFI" permanently on glitch??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ncruzpr, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ncruzpr macrumors newbie

As some of you can remember, during the beta stages of iOS 6 we saw the "Cellular Plus WIFI" option. The purpose of it was to switch the signal on the iPhone from WIFI to Celular depending on the strengh of the signal. That option was removed for the final release of iOS 6.

Ever since I moved to the iPhone 5 I have been giving the phone the same data usage I gave my iPhone 4 (messaging, FB, Twitter, the ocassional Youtube video, no streaming at all). With my iPhone 4 I never exceeded the 3 GB data limit, not even close. Now with my iPhone 5, I am nearing 4 GB with 10 days to go...with the same usage. It could be LTE, but I don't think it should make THAT much of a diference on usage. I have heard of some cases where a person exceeds their limit in just a couple of days.

My theory is that somehow the "Cellular Plus Wifi" feature is permanently turned on via a glitch or something, while the option to turn it off was removed. Since a lot of people's LTE signals are faster than their WIFI signals (like me) maybe the phone is switching without letting us know and what we think we are doing on WIFI we are actually doing on LTE.

What do yo guys think? Is it possible this be the issue?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I have considered that.

However, when my home wifi is fubar, and it happens sometimes between my WDS'd routers. I have no internet access on my iPhone, it does not fall back to LTE.

Also speedtest app confirms that I'm on slower local broadband/wifi.

3. ProudLoz macrumors regular

I think you should pay attention to those youtube videos you mentioned. Although it's occassional, they're using up more data now that the service dectects that you're using a faster intenet connection. So it'll give you a higher quality stream.

This is specially true with the implementation of the new youtube app. When I get throttled, the videos I would watch didn't really buffer too much, but that's because the quality adjusted to the high speed, yet when I watched them when I wasn't throttled, it wouldn't buffer either but the quality of the videos was a lot better.

I don't think iOS 6 handles vidoes like it did with iOS 5 where if you were in a 3G connection, you got a ****** looking low bandwidth video regardless of having a fast internet connection.

4. grenhall macrumors regular

I wouldn't be too surprised if this is causing the battery drain that a lot of people are experiencing.

5. msaftw macrumors member

the cellar switch would enable cellular data to enable if the wifi network would not download the data currently being used. so even if speedtest gives you the wifi speed that doesn't mean it won't use cellular under some circumstances.