Census Data Shows Thousands More Moving Out Of LA, OC Than Moving In

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/06/26/census-data-shows-thousands-more-moving-out-of-la-oc-than-moving-in/?utm_campaign=true_anthem&utm_content=5d147b29c0e5900001cb3443&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=social&fbclid=IwAR1EPQURCdUZPtxr0vhYSrouq_fcK97KIehN8hCwX-8D1VNzZdXmj7h2DHg
More people are leaving Orange and Los Angeles counties than are moving in, according to census data.

A breakdown of last year’s census numbers shows Orange County had 20,104 more people leave than move in, marking the 10th worst net out-migration among big counties in the U.S. L.A. County had 98,608 people leave, marking the biggest net loss in the U.S.
of course tax payers are moving out, taxes & high housing along with subsidizing illegals takes it's toll on people.

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
Don’t forget about the homeless flooding the sidewalks and freeway overpasses. My favorite thing of all is when dedicated Californians throw out the, “If you don’t like California, then LEAVE!” And citizens are following through with it.

I’m only in Cali for another 3-5 years for work. Then back to Oklahoma. I’ll miss the attractions and beaches, but the politics/laws? Nah.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Pumpkindale
If those moving out remained in CA, then which of the taxes would still apply?

I can see that housing costs could be reduced by moving, but a State tax would apply wherever one moved within CA.

"Biggest net loss" seems entirely plausible to me, since LA County is the most populous county in the US:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_County,_California

As a percentage, a net loss of 98k from over 10M is just under 1%.

For Orange County, the figures are: 3M population, 20K loss is under 1%.

Reactions: Eraserhead

duffman9000

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Don’t forget about the homeless flooding the sidewalks and freeway overpasses. My favorite thing of all is when dedicated Californians throw out the, “If you don’t like California, then LEAVE!” And citizens are following through with it.

I’m only in Cali for another 3-5 years for work. Then back to Oklahoma. I’ll miss the attractions and beaches, but the politics/laws? Nah.
Yeah, you’re free to leave. And to Oklahoma lol.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
If those moving out remained in CA, then which of the taxes would still apply?

I can see that housing costs could be reduced by moving, but a State tax would apply wherever one moved within CA.

"Biggest net loss" seems entirely plausible to me, since LA County is the most populous county in the US:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_County,_California

As a percentage, a net loss of 98k from over 10M is just under 1%.

For Orange County, the figures are: 3M population, 20K loss is under 1%.
is the losses of people a statistical anomoly at this point or a trend over several periods?

just curious.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
I’d argue we need less people here. The 91 east in the afternoon is surely one of the levels in hell.
yeah, living in big city area, traffic is a known problem

but not really what I was looking for. Just looking for trend data.

often times we like to pick statistical anomolous behaviour as some evidence of some ongoing issue. But statistical anomalies are not trends and it's important to spot the difference if one is to make a claim about a trend..

as a hypothetical example:

if Cali has seen 9 periods of growth and 1 period of shrinkage. Claiming people are leaving california en masse would be wrong and grandstanding.

Reactions: duffman9000

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Pumpkindale
is the losses of people a statistical anomoly at this point or a trend over several periods?

just curious.
Can't tell. They didn't source their data, so one would have to dig that up first, then see if there are longer-term records from the same source.

There's this from the article:
But not everyone is moving out of state. Riverside County had 18,980 people move in; that’s the fourth biggest gain in the nation, according to the data.​

So not every county in CA is losing population.

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
But LA has a homeless population boom :eek:
[doublepost=1561665940][/doublepost]
yeah, living in big city area, traffic is a known problem

but not really what I was looking for. Just looking for trend data.

often times we like to pick statistical anomolous behaviour as some evidence of some ongoing issue. But statistical anomalies are not trends and it's important to spot the difference if one is to make a claim about a trend..

as a hypothetical example:

if Cali has seen 9 periods of growth and 1 period of shrinkage. Claiming people are leaving california en masse would be wrong and grandstanding.
upload_2019-6-27_13-4-32.png

Biggest driver is influx of immigrants and birthrate. The limiting factor on the growth is the exodus of established residents. Driving that is cost of living and cost of housing.https://www.pe.com/2018/03/21/how-and-why-southern-californias-population-grew-so-much-in-one-year/

Last edited:
Reactions: jkcerda

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
I welcome the Leavers. Or Calexiters?

In the end…. results in more empty houses for sale (and cheap), so I can finally afford that coastal Malibu Mansion that Iron Man had.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I welcome the Leavers. Or Calexiters?

In the end…. results in more empty houses for sale (and cheap), so I can finally afford that coastal Malibu Mansion that Iron Man had.
Sorry, but this is as close you'll ever actually get.

Even the house identified as the Malibu Mansion, isn't the 'real' one. :)

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
I’d argue we need less people here. The 91 east in the afternoon is surely one of the levels in hell.
91 East is horrible most of the day. 10 East and West are beyond horrible as well. 405 sucks just as much in and out of LA. What we need is a better transport system and better roads too. In Asia they have overpasses which pretty much is a second highway on top of the bottom one. I think we could use one here. That would help a lot with traffic.

Reactions: duffman9000

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Pumpkindale
91 East is horrible most of the day. 10 East and West are beyond horrible as well. 405 sucks just as much in and out of LA. What we need is a better transport system and better roads too. In Asia they have overpasses which pretty much is a second highway on top of the bottom one. I think we could use one here. That would help a lot with traffic.
It would kinda suck in an earthquake, though.

That's after the 1988 Loma Prieta quake.

Reactions: LizKat and Solomani

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Pretty sure Gov Cuomo had a soundbite about his a few months back, basically saying they can't keep driving out the tax payers (in particular the high income tax payers) and think NY will have the funds to fix MTA.

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Are there people with vested interests such as homeowners, landlords, and realtors who want housing to remain scarce so prices can remain high?

Reactions: Solomani