Census Form: Republican Fraud or Clever Marketing?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sdashiki, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

http://documents.propublica.org/republican-national-committee-census-form#p=1
    http://www.propublica.org/article/republicans-send-out-a-census-form-thats-really-a-fundraiser-210
    Couldnt search to find anything related to this, so I thought I'd post it.

I honestly don't care about this kind of stuff because like all junk mail, it goes in the garbage.

But the obvious political leanings of the leading questions on this "census form" are so egregious I can't believe someone doesn't try to stop this campaign.

I mean, isnt it kind of illegal to basically pose as a formal US Census form?

Like thos parking tickets that were actually flyers?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You would think, but who cares? They're desperate and will try anything.

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I love this question:

"Do you believe the Obama Administration is right in dramatically scaling back our nation's military?"

Yes. The guy who just pushed for one of the largest Defense appropriations bills is dramatically scaling back the military.

Cognitive dissonance.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It is technically a census if they are gathering information about a population.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's a flimsy definition for a census. A census is a count, the GOP mailer is actually a survey. It's a semantic difference, really.

According to the ProPublica website, it's not illegal to do, but it's certainly a little shady.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. remmy macrumors 6502a

What is the point when the questions are politically adjusted, the information you would get back would be inaccurate and not useful. This is just advertising.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Here we go again with semantics.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So they can get information back and post skewed statistics just like any other politically charged survey.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's a freaking push poll except not on the phone.

11. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Disguised for no reason other than to confuse and basically defraud people into donating money (or the Terrorists win, if you believe the last page of the thing).

Thats not merely a political poll. Its a tool for a specific end.

Greed for money. Greed for power.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think it's bordering on illegal activity.

The whole point isn't to convert the knowledgeable but to seduce the ignorant.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This sounds like the sort of action a political party would take in a failed state.

There is no way this would happen in a million years in the UK, illegal or not, its highly immoral.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You guys should probably be more worried about the headlines of some of the articles coming out of the conservative camp, I joined the NRA last year for free so I get emails from different conservative groups now:

Pelosi Declares ObamaCare War On Americans
    CZAR Obama Pushes Socialized Healthcare
    Reid Scheme - Immediate Medicare Death Spiral
    Senate Dems Destroy Medicare & Hide Public Option

I could continue. :D

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats freedom of speech, I'm not sure the RNC has that same amount of freedom given their involvement in making policy, but its a subject I really don't know enough about.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This has to be a joke though. Manipulating the census. When it's so important for US democracy?

17. 184550 Guest

I guess it could be considered fraud if you're too stupid to read the big black letters on the top of the form that clearly state '2010 Congressional District Census' and the smaller bold letter beneath that clearly state that it is paid for by the GOP.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

actually it's probably libel. Which makes it illegal.

Which is the main purpose of the real US census. You're average Fox News believing American will easily fall for this.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've just taken a look at the form and it does look fairly obvious what it is, but if you didn't read all the small print you could fairly easily be fooled.

Asking for $15 to process the form is also outrageous, there is no way it costs anywhere near that much :rolleyes:.

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

They send me items like this all the time. RNC is broke and always trying to get some more $$. I am on lists because I gave monthly to the McCain campaign and gave to the Wilson campaign fund after the "You Lie" address. I will give to individuals but I don't like the RNC so much lately. They called me 6 months ago and asked for $$ and I laughed them off-telling the nice lady that when the RNC represents me and my ideals (make this short and quick - when they make a hard right turn) then I will think about it, but I would not give them a nickel otherwise.
    Almost all their mail is very easy to spot. Attached is one that was sitting in my mail inbox here in the kitchen. The return address is "2010 Obama Agenda Survey, Republican National Committee".
    If I was registered Dem and gave $$, and the DNC was doing fund raising-I would get the same. My brother was a DNC official and worked for John Glenn, he is now a professional fund raiser (and hard right conservative) he can tell you all the DNC tricks. There is really no story here other than ALL politicans are whores for $$$$.

Attached Files:

21. 184550 Guest

I found an interactive version of the 2010 census form.

I think that it's pretty clear which form is official.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah if you put the effort in to look. But for your average citizen they won't check the form online.

23. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Be careful for what you wish for there, 3 rights turns make a left turn. ;)

24. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Only a fool would not pick up that the survey had an agenda after the first question or two. The questions are obviously biased and worded to push their opinion.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

People believe that Fox News is fair and balanced...