Central Ohio - Slow 3G speeds?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OHCasper, Oct 17, 2011.

1. OHCasper macrumors newbie

I've heard a few folks talking about how slow their AT&T phones are in the Columbus area. But then I've seen a couple folks on here posts speedtests in the 5Mb/s range. I'd like to get a general consensus. If you're in the central Ohio area, please post up your speeds and a rough description of what area of town. Mine was slow with the 3GS and is still slow with the 4S. This is supposedly an HSPA+ area per AT&T tech support. They don't really have an answer for me other than to restore the phone, which I've done numerous times, or exchange it. Seeing as though my 3GS did it, my wife's 3GS did it, and now both of our 4S's do it, I'm not so sure replacing the phone is going to resolve anything. I'm wondering if there's a larger issue here.

This is in downtown:

[​IMG]

2. charpman macrumors newbie

I work in downtown Columbus and my iPhone4 3G speeds are horrible. Part of it is where I sit in the building. Often I cannot connect to anything data related. If I go to the other side of the building it's a tad better. I was in the office on Father's day 2011 and pulled over 3mbit down. I think it's just saturated.

3. BrindawithanI macrumors newbie

I know this thread is a few months old, but has anyone found a resolution to their 3G issues? I'm in downtown Columbus during the work week and most of the time I can't even get a data connection. I will say that my 4S shows 4 out of 5 bars on 3G at all times when this is happening. I don't want to bother replacing an otherwise great phone if the problem is with their network. I've spoken with AT&T about it and they were supposed to get back to me by 2/7/12 with a report. Needless to say, on the 7th I got a text that said they're still working on it and have heard nothing since. I've always been a big fan of AT&T, but they're slowly starting to lose my loyalty with their throttling and double activation fees.

4. skston macrumors newbie

I have the same problem Downtown.

5. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I'm on the east side near Gahanna. Speeds are definitely slow.

6. P51 macrumors regular

While not on AT&T, I noticed its hit or miss in Columbus for Verizon, I get 1mb down sometimes and 200kb other times (More often)

7. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Well, I work on the north end on Cleveland avenue, and my 3g works well most of the time. Where I live in dublin, it's very fast, but when I lived in reynoldsburg, it was very slow and low reception, until I drive closer to 270. Near Easton, VERY slow most of the time. I think it has to do with peak times and network congestion. Overall, I'd say your probably gonna run into the same thing on every network around here. My friends on Verizon run into the same issues, although there phones do slightly better in the building most of the time, but in our break room, it's a black hole no matter what network your on.

8. BrindawithanI macrumors newbie

Oh wow! This is very helpful! I SO didn't want to go to the time and trouble to swap phones only to find out it didn't change a thing. Thanks so much for the quick responses!! I REALLY appreciate it! :)

9. chrislaw, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I work in Grandview and my speeds have been so incredibly slow. I can stream Netflix over 3G in Newark, but I try to in Grandview and it's bufferfest. I just ran a test and got 300kbs. It's normally between there and 500kbs. Pretty pathetic. I'm on Verizon.

Wow, it's even worse today. I can't even stream music. 86 Kbps