Centralized voting system?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why doesn't the government just keep a sign in system keyed on someone's SSN and then allow people to sign in and push their vote? Or decentralize to each state and have all of the SSN numbers synced to a federal database so no one could vote the same SSN twice. It seems that this would make voting easier and not make voting feel like a 20th century affair.

Login, verify your details, vote. Done.

No more illegals voting, no more dead voters, no more double votes like from the lady in Iowa.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Dems would never win elections if they did this. ;)

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Confidentiality: How do you maintain the vote being secret, i.e. not being tied to a specific person? Or are you willing to let government employees, perhaps from an opposition party, know who you've voted for, over your entire voting history?

Authentication: Since SSN's aren't secret (e.g. my bank knows it, as does my employer), what prevents one person from impersonating another, and registering or voting as that person? There's two parts to this: registration authentication, and voting authentication. Both must be solved. For example, illegals now can get fake SSN cards, so how would using SSN be secure?

Those are just two issues off the top of my head, and pretty much essential to any replacement voting system.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It would take a Constitutional amendment to centralize our voting. The states would never ratify it. Anyway it's more hack proof this way for sure. You can hack a precinct, big maybe, but you can't hack three thousand of them.

5. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

None of this electronic ******** is needed. Votes should be on paper, and you need to show a ****ing ID. Then you get some special ink on your finger that does not wear off for a couple weeks. I believe they do that in India.

Anyone that tries to vote illegally gets punched in the face.

Btw, there is no Constitutional right to vote in a federal election (SCOTUS 2000).

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I would prefer scorpions in the crotch for illegal voting.

7. Snoopy4, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Because it's an election of the States and the States have the jurisdiction.

That said I'm all for voter IDs.

Oh and illegals steal SSNs all the time. I opened a bank account once under the name of Pedro Gomez and got a cell phone under the name of Maria. Imagine my surprise when the checks and phone bill arrived at the house. I also bought half a dozen vacuums at Target. I guess I was going into the house cleaning business. Turned out my info had been lifted from the bank that bought my mortgage from another bank during the financial crisis. They actually caught the guy because he was dumb enough to open bank accounts with multiple IDs at multiple banks. He's been deported.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

More to the point there's no Constitutional right to establish a federally centralized voting system. The federally issued SSN is not per se an ID anyway, notwithstanding the eternal paradox of having to provide it as if it were an ID in certain cirumstances.

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

For starters, your SSN isn't as private as you'ed think. Now a days you need to use your SSN to get utilities, a job, credit and what ever else. In most cases, you also have to provide your other personal info such as your address, phone, ect. That information is potentially accessible by others, who potentially could collect that data and thereby vote for you in an online system. Voting online is far more anonymous and more open to voter fraud then voting in person.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

11. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Some other type of validation could be used along with SSN, obviously if someone voted for you you could invalidate the vote by proving your identity, anyone voting for someone else will end up leaving traces which could be tracked and prosecuted. 10 years in jail minimum.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

That would imply that someone without a SSN can't vote.

13. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

These are all current issues anyways with no oversight at all. At least an electronic system would have a trail. Obviously you would anonymize the data for any employees interacting with it. A vote should not be anonymous anyways unless you have no integrity.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2016 ---
    You have to be a citizen to vote I'm pretty sure, all citizens have SSNs

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Technically you need a SSN to vote because only citizens can vote and all citizens have SSNs.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

What? Seriously you should think that through a litle bit.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Absolutely false.

17. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Can you provide more details please, in what circumstances would you either not have a social security number or be restricted from getting one? I believe it is a free process.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2016 ---
    Why? When you vote on a board your vote is recorded, when congress votes their vote is recorded. I'm pretty sure your party registration is accessible anyways so it's pretty obvious who you are voting for.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You are restricted if you don't have the right visa of course. If you hold a non-immigrant visa (H-1, E1 etc) you can ask to get a SSN. You get a SS card with "Not valid for employment" written on it.

If you have a green card the SS card that says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization"

When you become a citizen you go back to the Social Security office and you get the regular card.

All of this is optional. A social security is not a proof of immigration and or citizenship status. I had it as a non-resident (and went through the entire process), and my son (a citizen) doesn't have it.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Why is it obvious? On balance, say in early voting in a general election, it might be true that a majority of reggied Dems will have early-voted for Democratic candidates, but it's not obvious that any particular reggied Democrat will have done so. As I noted in a thread elsewhere, this year it's quite possible that many blue dog Dems will vote, early or not, for Trump because they tend to be fans of the 2A.

Having your vote recorded as "person A voted" is one thing. That record is public, as is party registration. So you can find out how many reggied Democrats showed up at the polls and voted. For whom or what, you have no idea unless they stand for an exit poll and then you have to take their word for it.

Having the content of your vote released to the public is not done in the USA. You can be reggied as Dem or GOP and split ticket anyway you like. Be an indie and vote for any party. I'm talking in general elections. In primary races it's not obvious whom you vote for either even if the primary is closed.

Here on boards if some poll is footnoted that your vote will be public, you have a choice of not voting if you don't care for that stipulation.

20. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Is your son of voting age? Also it doesn't need to be a indicator of citizenship, just a tie in with immigration systems to verify.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

He's not of voting age, but he - as any other requirement - is not required to have a SSN. Your state ID, US passport and/or Certificate of Citizenship work well enough.

22. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Again practically any info you can provide someone else could get a hold of.

23. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

At least there would be a paper trail on the identity theft, right now you go in and say you are x and vote for them, even if they are dead.

24. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It's almost like you're asking to have a paper trail to replace the original system that had a paper trail. Hmmm.

25. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Well, it is if you want to write off those little deductions.