Centrist Democrats: We can work with President Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, May 16, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This is a shocking report. Sitting Democratic Senators are publicly announcing that they can work with a President Trump. Why the cautious hedging? What do they know that we don't?

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Sounds like some Democrats actually wanting to act like adults, as opposed to the republicans' childish "I'm taking my ball and going home" motto of the last 8 years.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Good observation. They may see Trump as a pragmatic deal-maker rather than a partisan ideologue.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well, if we can say one thing for certain about Trump in this campaign, he definitely doesn't give a damn about being partisan.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

"who has long backed Hillary Clinton."

Well that's hardly a shocker then. Hilary and Trump are cut from the same disgusting cloth.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Shocking. Democrats in red states afraid of losing re-election.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is a "shocking" report? Maybe it's shocking to Congressional Republicans who have willfully fought the president on every issue to the detriment of the country.

Instead, this sounds like Democratic Senators are willing to work with the president, even if he is unfortunately Trump.

Both expect Trump to be challenging and disagreeable, but they're going to try and work with a Trump-led White House.

8. 0007776 Suspended

They know two things, the main on his that they are from states that are guaranteed to go to Trump in the general election, and they have to reach out to Republicans if they are going to win their next election. The second is that if Trump somehow does get elected then they recognize that we can't afford to have a congress that acts like two year olds when it comes to working with the other party.

9. bent christian, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Yup. What we have are Democrats willing to do their jobs no matter which candidate wins the election.

What we have are Democrats willing to act like adults.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Somewhat shocking, but not nearly as shocking as if there were Republicans who were actually willing to do their jobs and act like adults.

11. 0007776 Suspended

I suspect those Republicans will reemerge after the election when the Democrats retake the Senate so they can confirm Garland before Hillary gets into office and appoints a more liberal judge.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

They can look at a map?

Its more than probable that Donald Trump will win those states (as well as Heitkamp's North Dakota) in the General Election. It takes nothing away from those Senators' public support for presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton to say that they can "work with" a potential President Trump (shudder....)

And thats the difference between Democrats and the sort of people you'll find in today's Republican Party: the sort of people who have - for the past eight years - held this country and its people hostage with their nonsense about birth certificates and Supreme Court nominees.

But more to the point, if you actually think about it its kind of a jiu-jitsu move on the part of the Democrats. Effectively telling all those dyed-in-the-wool conservatives in their home states that a vote for Donald Trump isn't going to be the same thing as voting for Ted Cruz or Scott Walker would have been. A sotto voce reminder that Trump is the same guy who donated to Planned Parenthood and Hillary Clinton's 2008 campaign.

Do we really have to explain these things to you people? I guess so.....

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

I am hearing resignation in this thread, with multiple posters in lockstep pointing toward Republican congressmen as Barak (executive order) Obama’s boat anchor, when it wasn’t that long ago that it was strictly anti-Trump.

Trump will reach across the aisle, and he’ll probably do things that tick off Republicans. But at least he’ll be centrist.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Trump scares me on so many levels, but I will admit he's not stuck in some idealistic no-man's land like Ted Cruz.

But I am less afraid of Cruz because I know his boundaries. Trump is a madman and four years is too much time to expect him to behave. He can start an unpredictable war with unpredictable consequences even worse than W with the Middle East.

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Not shocking. All the news articles going back a decade suggesting Trump is a Democrat, aided by his own quote of how he seemed to identify as one... and before you accuse:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/politics/donald-trump-election-democrat/
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2016 ---
    On which parts? But even the worst case scenario... am still up in the air, I could make 50 posts finding and reflecting on articles of perceived pros and cons to them all. And not all of those articles really know the underlying context for those various circumstances.

16. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Cruz's boundaries are the Book of Genesis and the Book of Revelation. He is far more terrifying than Trump or Hillary.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

Cruz elicits some serious dislike, even hatred, from certain Republicans.

18. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Or he could task his justice department to target and punish the Bushes and Obamas of the world, who have started and caused numerous wars in the Middle East and northern Africa, causing all – or most of – the current related problems we see there, and extending beyond the Middle East, as well.

19. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Trump actually criticized the Second Gulf War way saying he tough it would make the Middle East unstable!

20. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

hes a genius!!!!!!1!!!!!!

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Trump is less scary than HRC because he'll tell you what he's thinking HRC will do stuff secretly then apologize after. You can head off or mitigate announced actions you cannot with secret actions.