"Certified Refurbished" Dell u3417 for External Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by R3k, Mar 22, 2017.

1. R3k macrumors 6502a

Thinking of getting a "Dell Certified Refurbished" one of these to use as an external display for my MBP.

Does anyone have experience with buying refurbished Dell monitors? Wondering if they're trustworthy in this, or just prone to repackaging returns and sending them out again..

2. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Sorry, no experience with Dell refurbs, but I can say that this is an awesome monitor. It has it's downsides, but they don't affect me really - IPS bleed in dark rooms, "only" 3440x1440 resolution, no usb-c connectivity. But the space and quality of screen for productivity use is great. Unfortunately it doesn't compare to the MBP's screen in brightness or clarity, but I knew that already, and it makes up for it with space, lots of space. FWIW, I connect using a dock through DP, and I use it as a switching hub for my usb-a peripherals - keyboard, mouse, headset. I only use the dock for Mac specific peripherals like my time machine drive. What kind of discount do you get for refurbished? From what I've read on reviews, people return these for IPS bleed or other minor reasons that may or may not matter to you. It is what it is.

3. R3k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good info, thanks!

Im seeing them around for $700 shipped, while new is about $840 after ship and tax on Amazon.