CES: New device between iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quatrequatre, Jan 12, 2012.

1. quatrequatre, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

quatrequatre macrumors newbie

I just saw a news report on the TV from CES and it showed a new mobile device that had the biggest screen ever done on a mobile device. It looked about It looked almost like two iPhone screens. Which brings me to the question I've been wondering......

Mobile and tablet seem to be blending together more and more. The hottest selling device this Christmas was the Kindle. A device that comes in size wise right between I mean they are almost trying to pretend it is an apple device. Look at their freakin website.....scroll down, cover the amazon logo and you thing you're on apple.com. http://amzn.to/z216vs

So I own both an iPhone and iPad and I love both devices. But does anyone own a Kindle Fire as well and find need for it in a way that an iPhone and iPad doesn't fill?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

IMO a phone is no longer a phone when you can't fit it in your pocket and you can't easily use all it's features with one hand.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I agree!! I have a tablet (iPad) to be a tablet, my iPhone for a phone, my computer for a computer....the phone's the only one I want to carry around all the time, it fits in the pocket of my jeans, or my jacket...the others don't.

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

uh, don't think so. More iphone 4S's were activated on christmas day alone than Amazon has sold Kindle Fire's since pre-orders began. Hell, more iPad's were sold than the Kindle Fire. More Galaxy Nexus phones were sold than Fires.
    By the way, the return rate on the Fire is roughly 15-20%. Rough figures estimate half a million were returned.

5. quatrequatre thread starter macrumors newbie

Thou doth protest.....

Easy there turbo.....I'm not pushing Kindles, saying they are great, saying my dad can beat up your dad........I've just been impressed how they seem to be finding a niche between the iPhone and iPad. I'm just asking if there are others that own these devices and truly see the Kindle fill a need the iPhone and iPad don't fill?

6. NewYork88 macrumors member

NewYork88

We got a iPad2 for Christmas and My Mom got a Kindle Fire ....... The Kindle Fire is on its way back and a iPad2 is on the way. IMO the Kindle is $200 cause thats maybe what its worth. Anyone that wants a iPad and goes with the Fire will hate it if they've been around a iPad. Except price the Kindle is inferior in every way possible,honestly I think its garbage.

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Are you talking about the Note? Best phone on earth, man (okay, that's just my opinion)

But anyways, about the Fire... No. Once the device is too big to fit into your pocket, why does it matter if there's a 3" difference? It's not going to effect the way you carry it around, the way you use it, ect. If you find the iPad as a better device, then that's all you need. Don't be a two-timing tablet twit

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

Um no. If I had an iPhone and an iPad why the hell would I get a kindle fire.

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I've said this from the get go in other threads. The Fire is nothing but an e-catalog and ereader+, with the ability to surf the web, albeit really slowly. It's junk and hardly what anyone would call a best selling 'anything'. Does it fill any niche? Maybe the one of sad disappointment. You know that place? where the kids that wanted ipads for xmas, and instead got a Kindle Fire. It's that place.