Chaka Kahn butchers the national anthem (NBA All Star game)

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
This is what her sister posted on FB:

"Cant believe my sister is being dragged thru the dirt for her rendition of a song that has nothing to do with us and our experience as people of color in this f----d up country.... this song never served us....she should've taken a knee while singing. My sister has spent her entire adult life serenading you....how dare you! She did it and she did the way she felt it..... Stand down!"
um...Chaka accepted the invitation to sing it and chose to sing it the way she did. There have been a number of black artists who sang the national anthem and were praised for their rendition. Chaka has no one but herself to blame for the criticism.

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
This is what her sister posted on FB:

um...Chaka accepted the invitation to sing it and chose to sing it the way she did. There have been a number of black artists who sang the national anthem and were praised for their rendition. Chaka has no one but herself to blame for the criticism.
I don't get what's the link between a bad rendition and "the song has nothing to do with us"... singer botched a well known song at the wrong moment and social media picked on it; it happens, it will pass. No need for silly excuses.
As for the "how dare you", sorry but that's the price of looking for fame. Ridicule is part of the package, earned or not.

Reactions: ucfgrad93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.