chance getting a "broken" iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stevie04, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Stevie04 macrumors member

Hi,
    I ordered an unlocked iPhone 4S 32 GB a couple of days ago.
    Well, I have read in this forum that a lot of people got "broken" iPhones. They got phones with bad screens, audio problems etc. Seems like many people having issues with their phones.
    So i just wanna know: How high is the probability to get a "broken" iPhone?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those "broken" iPhones don't have anything wrong with them. Of course they may have a yellow screen or the steel band has a scratch or the camera makes noise. But these are hardly things to be complaining about. The chances of getting a truly broken iPhone, broken as in shattered/cracked glass or won't turn on, is about 2% of a few 10's of millions.

3. Stevie04 thread starter macrumors member

yes and what about the chance getting the "broken" iPhones, which have yellow screens etc. ? Should be a lot more right?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Depending on some people's view of "perfection", all iPhones are "broken". While person A may find it perfect, person B will find it to have a hairline scratch on the top of the band. Moral, its all in the eyes of the holder.

5. Stevie04 thread starter macrumors member

okay assume that I find it not perfect, if it has a yellow screen or something like that. How high is the chance that i get a perfect made phone without any issues?

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I agree ^

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Zero. There are no "perfect" or perfect iPhones. Show me one and I'll show you a few flaws on it.

8. Stevie04 thread starter macrumors member

so you say that almost every iPhone has at least a flaw ? like yellow scree, camera problems etc.? that's weird... I never knew that. I thought that (almost) every iPhone is made perfectly.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To me my 4S is "perfect", but to TM WAZZA, it may have a yellow screen. You just have to wait to see your iPhone. It may be "perfect" enough for your liking, but maybe not TM WAZZA's liking. And yes, no iPhone is perfect, no quotes. Why? Manufacturing equipment and personal cannot make anything perfect. Because they where all designed by imperfect humans. Remember, nothing is perfect.

10. Stevie04 thread starter macrumors member

haha yes this one is one of my favorites... i try to keep that in mind all the time.
    but i hope mine is gonna be without any big flaw(like yellow screen etc.). I'll see when it gets here in 1-2 weeks...

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the yellow screen is a buster for your hunt for "perfect", don't compare its screen with an iPhone 2G or iPod Touch 1G screen. Those are the most non-yellow screens in the iDevice family and doing so will leave you wanting a new 4S.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

1) There's no such thing as a perfect phone of any brand.

2) All phones are mass produced.

3) Some may have defects, that's why they come with a warranty

4) Some may have cosmetic issues that did not get caught during quality control checks.

Speaking only for myself based on first hand experience of just over twenty years as a _very_ loyal & frequent buyer, I have noticed a degradation of Apple Quality. I've purchased at least one new computer each year, and never had a single return till the last four consecutive years.

In 2010 I had to return 4 15" MBP's at $3,200 each before getting one that did not have a major fault that should have been caught before it shipped. A position the Apple genius confirmed & agreed with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to pick them apart by being picky or OCD. They are the tools I use for work. Unlike many I don't buy them to show off at Starbucks.

Nor am I trashing Apple. It is what it is, and I'd be happy to see a return to the normal level of "Pre-iPhone" quality.

Perhaps Apples new addiction to massive volume & sky high profits, trumps quality.

13. Stevie04 thread starter macrumors member

Well, i understand all those things but I pay 750$ for a phone+ i have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it. I'd like to have a well made phone with barely any flaw if I pay so much money and if i have to wait that long. But i mean it can't be perfect. If i am not happy, i return it...

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    There's people that go thru dozens of iphones looking to find the "perfect" iphone according to them.
    Most of the times the defect is not really on the phone but somewhere else;)

You're already worrying and complaining about something that you havent even received yet.
    Chances are it wont be "perfect":rolleyes:

15. Stevie04 thread starter macrumors member

yes you're right. It won't be perfect. However the standard is higher than for other companies because i spent a lot of money into that phone and Apple is known for its good quality actually...

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So far over the years since the original iphone I never received a bad quality or broken iphone. And I owned all of them including me and most of my family.
    If there's something wrong with it and Im not talking about a tiny scratch in the metal or something you can find with a microscope you can get it replaced.
    But the normal thing would be to worry about it "IF" you get a bad one, not get worked up before;)