Chance of '16 rMB price drop with next announcement?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GotMac88, Aug 24, 2016.

1. GotMac88 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a 2016 rMB, but the current retail prices is still a bit high for the current performance (just a personal opinion). With all the talk of new MBPs, however, I'm wondering about the chances for an upcoming drop in price for rMBs. If the MacBook Airs are discontinued (replaced by rMBs) or if a rMB upgrade comes alongside new MBPs (rumored new MBPs), it seems like a price drop could happen. Any thoughts on the likelihood of either of these scenarios?

For example, when the 2016 model came out, there was a short window in which you could by 2015 models for 100-200 cheaper than normal. The refurbished systems seemed to drop in price even more, during that short window of concurrence.

2. dj23andMe macrumors member

dj23andMe

Apple would need to shave $300 off the rMB to bring pricing inline with MBA 13 (about $500 for MBA 11). Can't see that this year nor next, maybe by 2018.

3. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

The high price isn't because of performance, it is the tight packaging (development costs and manufacturing) and the high quality screen. They are elements that should have got cheaper, so we may see a price drop. The MBA started out high and dropped in price. We may see the same for the MB (and hopefully a second USB-C port).

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple doesn't cut the price of new models, they much prefer to keep healthy margins, and I don't think that will change when they roll out the next generation of machines.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

None whatsoever, your only option is a deal at another vendor or a refurb.

6. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

It's highly likely that a Kaby Lake rMB will be out by Xmas given what we know about production.

7. redman042 macrumors 68020

Seems like the rMB is on a yearly spring refresh cycle. Apple could always change that, but it's not that common.

I just ordered a rMB yesterday on the expectation that we are only half way through the cycle (a good time to buy IMO, because software updates have refined the product, the next OS is about to hit, product availability is good, and there are some sales).

8. dj23andMe macrumors member

dj23andMe

Skylake and Kaby Lake use the same LGA 1151 cpu socket. Apparently only the 10W Kabys are shipping, indicating Apple could refresh the rMBP on Sept 5th or late October providing a latest machine for back to college / university.

9. kohlson macrumors 6502a

In my observation, Apple usually holds the price point and adds new functionality (cpu, ram, etc). Many buyers like Apple-the-brand and will pay more for what would otherwise get from another manufacturer, at least from a hardware perspective. But the Apple brand is about the ecosystem. One proof-point here is that while components drop in cost, Apple keeps its price point. This contributes to high profits. Only rarely do you see them "on sale" such as the educational (Beats) deal, or with a little bit off from Best Buy. This is usually in the latter half of a product's lifecycle. Anyway, imho probably no price drop.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of all the Macs, the MB is the one that Apple has recently updated. I'm not sure if Apple will roll out a new MacBook 6 months after updating it.

11. dj23andMe macrumors member

dj23andMe

Not a new Macbook, just a new 7th generation CPU, and no socket change required (longer battery and two usb-c ports)

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But it was a refresh,

It went from Broadwell to Skylake, newer iGPU and in pink.

While the update is not the biggest one, its more then most other Macs got in 2016 and I think since they did roll it out in April, they'll not update the MB to Kaby lake anytime soon

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

There is some precedent to this - Apple did cut prices on the then newly introduced 13" rMBP, four months after launch, in early 2013 - http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Updates-Processors-Prices-MacBook-Pro-Retina

But whether history will repeat itself for the rMB in 2016 is anyones guess.

14. dj23andMe macrumors member

dj23andMe

7th generation Kaby Lake for MBP wont start shipping till Q1-17. Kaby Lake for rMBP is shipping now. http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/08/26/more-intel-corporation-kaby-lake-details-leak.aspx

Back to university are waiting for new Macbooks...(many students need to buy Sept / Oct).

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Where did you see that the MacBook Pros have Kaby Lake shipping now? Only the Core M CPUs are out now, as per your linked article
    and the article mentions January for more power Kaby Lake processors

16. Mal67, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

Mal67 macrumors 6502a

The rMB is such a funny little machine :) I'm sure a price drop will come if and when they have a slightly larger model to go along with it. Would be nice though if they dropped the price of their products once they have been out for a while. Especially ones that have been out for ages. Unfortunately, the price down here at least just seems to go up based on dollar fluctuations.

17. dj23andMe macrumors member

dj23andMe

Oop's I intended to say rMB (not rMBP).

rMB has Intel Core M ultra low-voltage microprocessor designed specifically for ultra-thin notebooks, 2-in-1 detachables, and other mobile devices. The thermal design power (TDP) of all Core M microprocessors is 4.5 watts or lower.

September 7th or late October?