Chance of AT&T unlimited data plan being brought back

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JLee361, Mar 21, 2012.

1. JLee361 macrumors member

What are the chances of the AT&T unlimited data plan will be available again? Since users are experiencing faster speeds and ultimately more data being consumed, I would think they would maybe bring it back (at least for a limited time). I think they would make a lot more money, seeing as people are selling their unlimited sim cards for ridiculous amounts of money on eBay and etc. I personally would pay a little more to have it added on. Any insights/opinions?

2. mac.cali macrumors 65816

None. Zero. Not going to happen. AT&T would rather ripe you off than give you unlimited.

3. stonefeet macrumors regular

stonefeet

no chance, it's gone forever.

even those of us that are on grandfathered plans are technically on 3gb plans now.

4. badtzwang macrumors regular

0% chance. No way AT&T will go back to unlimited since it's cost prohibitive. When AT&T had their unlimited plan, there was some crazy statistic where the top 5% of power users were using 50% of the total bandwidth. Unlimited plans put a ridiculous amount of strain on the network.

They'd have to charge a ridiculous amount of money for the unlimited plan, if they were to even think about bringing it back.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Unlimited Data was a marketing gimmick for an age when people didn't use a lot of data anyway. It sucked to load a webpage on a Blackberry.

The carriers have realized how much money they can make by capping data plans and charging a fortune for it.

6. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

There's a great article here:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/21...evelopers-to-subsidize-lte3g-bandwidth-costs/

AT&T and other providers are considering having the advertisers and content providers pay for your some of your data usage and not you. It seems to me they MUST move to this kind of a model or people will start simply finding ways of ad-blocking and filtering content so they don't have to pay for what they have no interest in seeing (mostly ads).

7. DTxAg macrumors newbie

Those of you on "unlimited" smartphone plans are capped at 3gb. Those of you on the unlimited iPad plan are still uncapped.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No chance. I wish AT&T would go to a metered plan (like electricity, gas,....) and you could use as much as you want and just pay fore what you use.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think this is a great idea. I'd be willing to tolerate a few ads during a netflix movie that I'm watching over LTE if it meant that it didn't count against my data allotment.

10. appleii2mac macrumors regular

Actually I believe the "unlimited" smartphone plans are throttled at 3GB, not capped (at least on AT&T).

11. DTxAg macrumors newbie

You're right. Throttling starts at 3gb for smartphones and never (at least for now) on iPads.

12. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Throttling is the same thing as capping being that the speed you are throttled down to makes your data virtually unusable for anything more than iMessaging.

13. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

You're confusing the iPhone unltd plan with the iPad one. There's no throttle limit on the grandfathered iPad plan.

14. stonefeet macrumors regular

stonefeet

wonder how long that will last?

who ever posted it above that said metered, that's really the only fair way to go about this.

15. JLee361 thread starter macrumors member

Looks like I'm gonna be buying the "ridiculously expensive" sim card to get unlimited data for my iPad then since there's 0% chance...

16. mooseknuckles macrumors member

I did this a year ago and prices have nearly doubled on eBay for these sim cards. I watched one sell yesterday for $650. SIM card ONLY. Crazy price but well worth it if you need it!

17. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

oh wow .. that is high...

18. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Meh. I was looking at phone contracts. I have unlimited ATT phone atm. Would love some unlimited on my ipad.

Edit. I did read you can use unlimited Verizon 4g phone sim in Verizon LTE ipad.