iPad chance of getting an iPad 4 for ~ $300 (turns out not good)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by From A Buick 8, Dec 5, 2013.

1. From A Buick 8, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I am looking to move up from my 1st gen ipad to an ipad 4. I would like to pay around $300 for a 32GB 4th gen iPad. i have been watching several on EBay and looking through GL, but have not had much luck. Any thoughts on when you think the older 4 might drop to that price range.

2. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

My guess: As long as Apple keeps charging $449 for a refurb 32 GB 4th gen, the price won't drop. People will post their's for $400 until Apple runs out of them, then in about 3-6 months, they'll be $350, then when the next gen makes an appearance next fall, they'll go down to around $300.

My advice: Go for the iPad 3. The 4 isn't much of an improvement over it. They're so similar that Apple will probably put them out to pasture at the same time.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

Give microcenter a shot, it may be closer to $400 but they usually have good deals

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Great idea.

$360 right now for 16GB ipad4 wifi. Watch for open-box units though, they're typically less. A store near me has one for $340 right now if that $20 is important.

I've bought an openbox macbook pro 13 from Microcenter. I was allowed to open the box and inspect the unit, including running the serial number against Apple's Warranty checker website (via my phone, had 51 weeks left). Microcenter had wiped the drive and reloaded the OS, it was virtually like new. (openbox savings was $100 so it was a no-brainer to buy it... :) )

6. unibility macrumors 6502

was able to get the first gen. iPad mini 32 GB for $251.69 + tax. BRAND NEW!!! they had a $100 off because it was on clearance and also if you use your store credit card you get 15% off plus and additional 10% for the employee discount. also i signed up for their reward program and got an additional $22 in in-store credit. yeah it's not retina but it's a super great deal!!!

7. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I may have to adjust my price up some. I was thinking that apple might drop the price of the 4 some after the Air starts to become available as a refurb.

8. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Well after spending a week looking on Ebay and bidding on several 4th gen iPad's, I just said the heck with it and bought a refurb from Apple. 32gb iPad 4 for $449.

Just received the 'your item has shipped" email, should be a good replacement for my 1st gen iPad (which has become the wife's Pinterest machine).

9. calvol macrumors 6502a

Good choice, it should have a new battery and shell along with a one year warranty.

10. RebornProphet Suspended

That is abysmal advice. iOS 7 runs relatively poorly on iPad 3 with zero transparent effects and impacted frame rates on UI animations.

The iPad 4 is vastly more powerful than the 3, trust me I went from a 3 to a 4. iOS 7 (especially 7.1 which I am running the beta of) runs perfectly on the 4 and performance on apps is vastly superior. The iPad 3 has a CPU that is UNDER POWERED for the display it has, any kind of graphically intense app puts the iPad 3 under strain.

11. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I had the same thought about the 4 vs the 3, plus i want to get all of my ios stuff on the new lighting cable.

12. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

I have a 3. The problems with animations and frame rates exist on my iPad Air and iPhone 5S. The trouble with effects is the OS, not the hardware.

The 3 is a great device and was in the OP's price range. I guess recommending a device they can afford is "abysmal advice"

13. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Your advice about the price for the 3 was well received and appreciated. However I do think there is a significant diff between the 3 and 4 and that the 4 will receive iOS updates longer than the 3.

14. RebornProphet, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

RebornProphet Suspended

No no, don't try to turn it round. You said that there was nothing between the 3 and 4, which IS abysmal advice. The 3 has no life left in it, it is done. The performance leap from the 3 to the 4 thanks to the A6X is huge when running power hungry apps. On iOS 6 the iPad 3 was fine, the OS was smooth but on iOS 7 it is below par. The "iOS 7" frame drops seen on all devices (pre 7.1 may I add) are on all devices but I'm talking simple UI performance, where the iPad 3 has stutters and frame drops where the other devices do not. Hate to tell you, my wife now has my 3 and on iOS 7 it's horrible compared to my 4. I've done side by side comparisons. If you do have an iPad Air you would know this yourself.

Recommending a device that is already struggling on the new OS and will likely either not get iOS 8 or run even slower if it does receive iOS 8 is NOT good advice. On iOS 7 the 4 is closer to the Air in UI performance where there IS very little between those two (right now, but that will change in the next 6-8 months) and all current power apps run near identical to how they do on the Air (see Space Hulk, Infinity Blade 3, Xcom, etc).

Load times on apps like iPhoto and iMovie are slower, games like (the relatively old) NOVA 3 allow either high resolution or full effects but not both at the same time. Most other games are stripped of some graphical effects as seen on the likes of NFS Most Wanted. The A5X is not powerful enough to drive high performance apps on that Retina Display and it sure can't handle iOS 7 even with the transparency effects disabled.

The iPad 4 can be found either second hand or on the refurb store for great prices. And while yes it is more expensive than the 3, that little extra now will gain another year or so of proper, good performance use.

So no you weren't recommend a device within budget, you were recommending a tablet that would have been more or less DOA for the guy and given him a below par first impression of the iPad due to poor performance.

Anyone recommending an iPad 3 in the iOS 7 era with cheaper refurb iPad 4's around IS giving abysmal advice. And again saying there's "not much" between the 3 and 4 is just so factually wrong ... and sounds more like self pacification than anything else.

15. rajpatel macrumors regular

Prophet, that was a very well-written and eloquently explained post. I have to agree, having used both the 3 and 4 and having become something of an apple whore myself, unfortunately. Or fortunately, depending on how one views it.

Also, remember that the 3 uses the old port. That's important if you like to minimize wires and clutter and can use the same charger for phone and tablet. On the other hand, the Neanderthals still using the iPhone 4 may prefer to keep all their tech really outdated so all the old chargers and docks and all that garbage can still be used.

16. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

No, I did not say this. I said there isn't much of an improvement.

DOA? The iPad 2 is almost 3 years old and still being sold/supported. If you think the iPad 3 and 4 aren't going to be dropped at the same time, you're dreaming. OP should have saved his money.

Pacification? Get over yourself. I have a 3 and an Air. I'm happy with both.

17. RebornProphet, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

RebornProphet Suspended

And I'll stop you there because, again, you are factually and woefully wrong. The A6X is vastly superior to the A5X, that's hardly "not much" especially given the performance gap between iPad 3 and iPad 4 due to this chip.

iPad 2 is still being sold because Apple don't want two full size Retina tablets on sale, as the cheaper one may steal sales of the newer model, especially with the 4 performing on par with the Air at this stage in its life cycle. iPad 3 was dropped after six months on sale, the FACT is that the CPU isn't powerful enough for the display. iPad 4 was dropped when iPad Air came out, it got the full year. Difference being iPad 3 was dropped early for performance reasons.

Yes I'm sure you do and are ...

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So you think at least twice as fast is not much of an improvement? Or do you feel there wasn't much of n improvement due to it looking the same?

19. SenorDD macrumors newbie

When I went to the store and asked about the price difference between the 4th gen and the Air it was only a $30 difference.

20. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I've got a 3 and an Air....the Air is much nicer of course (fast, lighter) , but honestly the 3 is just fine for most uses - rich media like magazines, newspapers or just browsing. I'm starting to wonder why I spent so much to upgrade when the screen is just as good - but then again I know...its my tech affliction.

21. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

That was not my expereince. The diff between a refurb 32GB 4 and a 32GB air was $169