Chance of getting an iPhone 4 as a walk-in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Echthros, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Echthros macrumors member

Hey everyone, so I ended up as one of the unfortunate customers who wasn't able to preorder an iPhone 4 three days ago.

I know that all of the stores at which the iPhone is being distributed will be keeping a few phones in stock for walk-in customers, however if I'm not willing to camp out the night before, is it still worth it to drop by when the store opens (7 a.m.) to see if I can snag one?

2. theman510 macrumors 6502

you probably won't get one if you just waltz over at 7am. but then again, it all depends on how many your store has and how many people are waiting when you get there.

I love how people keep asking questions that are impossible to answer like this.

3. mslugx macrumors member

if you try to go at 7:00 Am, you probably won't get it at all. Too many people is going to get it. At least a couple hours before the store opens.

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 3G launch had lines of 4+ hours, and this year it looks as if things might even be worse, so if you don't plan on showing up a few hours before the store opens, I wouldn't really bother to be honest.

5. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

it really depends on the size of your hometown. metro area - no way. small town of about 10,000 with a wal-mart or at&t - you might have a chance . . .:cool:

6. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Well, I just got off the phone with a local AT&T store and they said they'll probably have about 100 total iPhone 4's, split 50/50 16/32. I don't live in a major city so there aren't that many AT&T stores to go to, so your MMV. But, I think if you don't wait out in line, you're not likely to get one. Then again, more stores will be carrying the iPhone this year.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

This is the most important factor.

8. Echthros thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone happen to know if Apple employees will know just about how many iPhones they'll be getting before the 24th?

I mean, if I called a local Apple Store, will they be able to tell me how many they're going to have in stock for both walk-ins and those who preordered?

EDIT: So about half/half? I see. I live in the L.A., California area and I know the Apple Stores down here can get pretty packed.

Well, thanks for the information, everybody.

9. theman510 macrumors 6502

probably not

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I dunno, it depends on where you live.

I think I'd be able to find an AT&T store in Boston that wasn't overly crushingly busy.

I remember last year during the 3Gs rollout. I was running down one particular street during my lunch hour run and noticed the lines at a particular AT&T store was nearly non-existent (only 2 or 3) but further down the road, was an apple store and its line was 2 to 3 blocks long.

Also consider how the whole iPad thing fleshed out. The apple store ran out of them in short order but they were easily found in Best Buy.

Since they're being sold in multiple stores now, it may be possible to walk in and get one. Personally, I'd avoid that mess and just wait a couple of weeks but that's just me.

11. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

People who have Apple stores in malls have the best chance. As soon as the mall opens, run like hell toward the store. Wear sneakers and durable clothing. You must be willing to punch, kick, claw, and possibly bite your way into the apple store.

12. iqwertyi macrumors regular

I don't think anyone really knows the answer.
    But here's my story...

This is when the 3G was launched.

I went to an apple store during my lunch hour to try and pick one up. Hahaha, boy, was I naive to think I was going to get one within an hour.
    I went back to work and went back to the store at around 9 pm. There was still a line, but only around a dozen people in front of me.
    There were glitches in the system and at around 11 pm, I walked out with my white iPhone 3G.

So, there's a slight, slight chance you'll be able to score one. But with the madness in the last couple of days, who knows.

Good luck! :)

13. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Even if they did know, they won't tell you; it's a security thing.

14. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I got a 3G at launch around 6:00 PM. It probably all depends on your location.