Chance of new Cinema Displays with Thunderbolt/Lightpeak Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Alucardx03, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Just bought a brand new Cinema Display last Friday at the Apple store. Obviously, with such a significant investment, I'd like to make sure it's as future-proof as possible. All this talk about Thunderbolt/Lightpeak has me nervous...

What do you think the chances are that Apple with release new Thunderbolt-capable CD's tomorrow? My worry is that, if they don't release them tomorrow, and release it in a month or so, I won't be able to return it... What do you guys think?

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I think it is a likely bet they will have matching monitors tomorrow. But really, who knows? You'll find out in a few hours and still have the same ability to return it, right?

3. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really hope you're right. I know that "new technology is always around the corner" and am a firm believer in buying tech in the immediate, but displays are usually pretty steady. Just look at the previous, non-led cinema displays. Those things were around forever!

I really hope Apple tweaks the displays tomorrow. It would really put me at ease about my investment!

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Your ACD has mDP on it, which is compatible with Thunderbolt anyway. What difference would a change in the cable make?

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

My annoyance with this is that the 27" ACD won't have a FaceTime HD camera, despite the high resolution. I bought mine at Christmas, and hope they don't sneak an update through.

6. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does have a Facetime HD camera. Don't forget, the 640x480 is an Apple-imposed restriction. The cameras are much higher resolution-- 1280x1024. Apple is probably just cropping that resolution to 720p.

7. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

I believe the OP wants the display to have a Thunderbolt hub in it.

Apple makes reference to it here: http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

It says:

8. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I meant.

And, as it turns out, Apple has disabled the 720p HD Facetime calls, even though some of the older cameras are technically able to handle it. Bleh. Sometimes, Apple can really piss on the parade.

I've got a week to decide if I want to return the display... I absolutely love it, but if they release a new version in two weeks, I'll kick myself. Then again, we know how slow Apple is with updating their displays.

9. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

That's exactly what I was expecting to happen. Certainly wasn't planning on being able to magically have a FaceTime HD camera in my ACD.

10. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Thought I would chime in for the OP. All you would need to do is add your monitor as the last peripheral to the TB daisy chain. Since I'm sure 98% of compatible peripherals to be released will include a two TB ports, this really isn't an issue. :)

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Thunderbolt's daisy chain supports a maximum of 7 devices and the display has to be at the end. The only TB "hub" Apple could add would be a passthru for a second display. Otherwise, there is no such thing as a TB hub.

12. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

Is this "display must be last" actually in the standard? Everything I have read says "current displays must be at the end" because the display doesn't understand what Thunderbolt is, it would only know how to handle DisplayPort.

However, I can't see that anything prevents a display from being upgraded, and having the smarts to pass on Thunderbolt to downstream devices.

It's just that right *now*, displays with DisplayPort 1.1 must be at the end of the chain.

13. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Yes, Thunderbolt really has to contain 2 ports on a peripheral to allow for daisy-chaining. DisplayPort monitors have to go on the end of the chain.A thunderbolt monitor can go anywhere in the chain. DVI can also go on the end of the chain using a DisplayPort/DVI adapter.

Really brilliant technology in my view.