Chances of Apple replacing/fixing no warranty MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandon8u, Jun 25, 2011.

1. brandon8u macrumors member

I have a 2 year old (15" unibody late 2009) Macbook Pro. Just last week my glass trackpad clicker button stopped working and now I have to use tap to click. Thus, I can not drag windows, resize windows, etc. Also just today my right speaker makes this static noise whenever something is playing from it. The sound is unbearable and basically the speaker is just broken.

I brought my mac 2 years ago, and therefore the 1 year warranty expired. Well, what are my chances of Apple replacing or fixing my Macbook Pro for free? I spent $1600 on it and am going to college this year. I can not afford to pay repair costs or buy a new computer.

Oh yeah, In the past month my Macbook Pro has noticeably been slower, it seems like the whole computer has been falling apart this month.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's not under warranty, your chances are pretty slim that they would fix it free.

3. superericla macrumors 6502

If you update to Lion when it comes out you'll have the option to enable dragging with three fingers which I personally find to be easier than clicking and dragging. I never use the mouse button myself.

4. thefoodie macrumors newbie

This seems to be a frequent problem.

I dont think you're going to have much luck I'm afraid.

I had to get the 15 inch glass track pad replaced on my mid 2009 MBP 15'. I had the apple care though. This seems like a fairly frequent issue - When I spoke with the engineer at an authorised repair centre, he said he'd done quite a few track pad replacements. Maybe you should log a post on the Apple site directly?

If you cant afford to get it fixed, maybe you can afford the Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse? Not ideal but at least a better alternative?

5. brandon8u thread starter macrumors member

Is the trackpad replaceable as one piece? Or is it the whole top piece? As long as I have parts I think I can fix it. I've taken apart my sisters 2006 macbook pro and my imac before to replace parts.

Seriously, what are even the chances of my computer freezing constantly, broken speaker, and broken trackpad, happening all in the same month!:(:mad: All my other Apple products have never broken on me!

6. DWBurke811, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Slim to none; I would just say no chance but I guess stranger things has happened.

They offered a 3 year warranty when you bought it, live and learn...

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You had the opportunity to extend your warranty and chose not to. Admittidly, it's unusual to have multiple problems surface in a months time, but you are responsible for fixing them. Why would you expect Apple to do it for free?

8. brandon8u thread starter macrumors member

Because it not my fault they sold me a crappy computer. I honestly have not dropped it, water damaged, etc. or anything! Plus, I've heard a lot of friends getting replacement iphones and ipods because they dropped it or a car ran it over.

9. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

You bought it knowing it had one year of coverage, knowing anything that happened after that was on you. You chose not to extend that coverage to 3 years. Apple doesn't "owe" you something, you knew what you were getting when you bought it.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Computers wear out. They're not designed to last forever. You had the opportunity to buy AppleCare, if you wanted longer coverage. Don't blame Apple for your decision not to extend your warranty. Too many people think the world owes them everything! You got the warranty that you paid for.

11. Anassasi macrumors newbie

Go for it.

honestly, i would ignore everyone here thats hating on you. careless or not, i spilled a glass of milk on my macbook pro which voids my warranty and they still sent out the $1,600 repair for free. completely covered. So i would say your chances are slim to none. But not non-existent. Just go and argue and make a big deal and ask to speak to the manager, then the store manager, then the district, then the regional. Etc. someone high enough will just do it to get you out of their hair.

12. sketdansu macrumors member

If you do bring it in, do get rid of that self-entitled attitude and they might consider fixing it for a discounted price. you are a year out of the expiration of your "crappy" laptop, don't expect any freebies

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for making me pay more for my apple products...

14. X3NIA macrumors member

qft, Thanks for making me work those extra hours buddy.

I suppose it isn't half his fault as it's so common (Wrong, but common) to have customers do everything in their absolute power to squeeze EVERYTHING out of a company.

Working retail and spending times in customer service I truly have come to the realization that most customers are thieving, morally challenged idiots who will do EVERYTHING in their power to save a buck.

15. eron macrumors 6502

I don't like to 'press' to click and drag, so I have enabled the secondary option of double tap to drag. If you don't use windows, this will be the best option.

16. errorunknown macrumors member

All you people that are saying that he should have got the extended warranty are full of crap. The whole idea about purchasing a mac is that it is supposed to be on higher quality than windows laptops. A $1600 laptop should NOT break down in the first two years. Did you purchase it with American Express by any chance? Mine was a little over a year old when everything started to get wonky. American Express told me to send it in and refunded by entire purchase price. You get one extra year of coverage when you buy items with that card.

17. scottgroovez macrumors regular

I'd certainly go and speak to someone who could authorise the repair. It's still a newish computer and would cost Apple peanuts to fix. For the cost of these machines, they should last a lot longer than 2 years.

18. jdaniel macrumors 65816

One can be unhappy about stuff breaking but **** happens and when you buy the product you KNOW when the warranty is going to end. This thread is pointless. I will always get rid of my mac before warranty expires OR I will get apple care. I will not leave it unprotected it is just not sensible thing to do. I wont however buy applecare at retail price.

19. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Maybe it should last longer than 2 years, but if it doesn't it's not Apples problem. They told you hold long they would cover it for, gave you the option o extent that period(honestly for not that much money), if you didn't and it breaks in 368 days you're SOL. You shouldn't go complain until you screw the company, bEcause that's what you're doing.

20. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I'm not sure if people understand statistical likelyhood here. Apple does make good products, but it's still possible that stuff will break.

If apple has a 99.9% non failure rate even, with a 0.1% say per 100,000 sold, is still 100 macbook pros with issues.

If something lasts on average of 5 years... some will last 2 years and some will last 7, the 5 being an average.

So far my luck has been decent for apple products, but my brother just had his 2009 macbook pro completely die. Luckily I twisted his arm and had him get educational priced apple care.

21. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Do you realize how much profit apple has? What if only some of that spent that on quality control so they wouldn't have these issues? And your welcome for job security, if everyone threw out their trash at the end of a movie at at theater, those cleanup boys wouldn't have a job. These huge companies should be willing to spare a little, you disgust me thinking that all consumers are out to get the big guys.

22. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Why would anyone buy extended warranties for any product from any company if the company would still fix the product even after the original warranty runs out? And if companies started fixing things out of warranty, then that's not very fair for those who bought the extra protection.

I bought a MBP in Sept of 2009 and it is still running strong. I've never had an issue; it runs like the day I got it - yet I still bought applecare right before my first year was up.
    My car's warranty just ran out and I would never expect the dealer to fix my car for free if something were to go wrong.
    I just don't get some people.

23. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

not saying that they'll fix it free of charge, but you might as well try. no reason to make a post about it, just go there and have them tell you and if they give you a price estimate that you do not want to pay, respectfully decline and deal with it or attempt to fix it yourself.

24. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Apple supported it for a full year.
    You had an opportunity to extend that to an extra 2 years, for a pretty cheap price.
    You didn't - your computers trackpad broke. Maybe you have big hands and are extremely hard on your trackpad? Who knows - either way, next time get Apple Care.

ps; http://www.iresq.com/macbook-repair...lass-trackpad-repair-13-15-and-17-models.html
    $119 to fix - Apple Care is only $239, for 15", with student discount.
    Apple Care = an incredible value

25. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

People that can't afford to repair their laptops are the people who should definitely be buying Apple Care. Things happen. Hard lesson learned for next time.