Chances of apple resurrecting the 17" in the fall

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Final Cut, Jul 13, 2012.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I am pretty set on the the envy 17. My next laptop has to have a big screen, and now with the 17" MBP gone from apple I feel a sense of having to move to windows. I am curious has there been ANY reason to think that the 17 MBP might come back? I heard a 13"rmbp display is being produced, so perhaps the 17" will come alongside with it?

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I doubt it. If Apple wanted the 17", they would have put in the updated components alongside the "regular" MBP updates that recently came out.

4. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I clearly remember that this isnt the first time that apple did this to the 17

5. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the envy 17 is 1000. And now I'm thinking if the 17" RMBP did come out, it would be more than $2200 (15"), I'm thinking base price of $2700, which is just wayyyyyyy too much. So my next question is do you think if it does come out it will be >$2200?

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The 15" rMBP is 2199... a 17" model can only be more expensive.

7. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

But I was thinking prices would go down to say $1799 on the next rmbp revision . iMac or envy 17 is pretty my only choice. I have a white macbook already.

8. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Apple has seemed to make it clear that they are trying to go smaller and thinner. While I think a 17in mbpr would be sexy as hell, the profits to be made are not at the level at which apple will be striving for. They rather have you buy the 15in and get a thunderbolt display.

9. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Last time they updated the 15 inch first, they kept the older non unibody 17 inch around until they updated it to unibody.

This time the 17 incher is gone, even drained from the refurb store!

I have a bad feeling,

10. infernohellion macrumors 6502

I secretly hoped for this even though I've ordered the rMBP.

But I doubt it. Yes, I remember what happened last time but this time it's different. They just dropped it entirely.

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I doubt it, since the Retina 15" can give you the 1920x1200 real estate that the old 17" could. That, combined with the fact that the 17" was axed in the 2012 update make chances pretty slim.

12. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I think 17" Retina screens were probably just a bit too expensive. It wouldn't necessarily shock me if we saw them reintroduced during next year's refresh.

Fall though? Don't hold your breath.

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think that if Apple thought that a 17" Macbook Pro made good business sense, they would have either updated it with Ivy Bridge and the new Nvidia graphics, or at least kept selling the old Sandy Bridge model.

The fact that they completely discontinued it, rather than just keeping the non-retina version around, makes me think that they don't see it as a product niche worth filling anymore.

OP: If you main criteria in a laptop is a large 17" display, then I think your options are a 2011 model 17" MBP or a Windows laptop.

14. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I think they just didn't want 17" uMBP sales eating into Retina sales. They need the Retina to be their "professional" machine to help justify the cost of the display. I still think we might get a 3360x2100 rMBP 17" next year.

A guy can dream...

15. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

17 inch MBP sales couldn't eat into a wall made of single-ply toilet paper even if you wet it first.

Wouldn't surprise me if they had more rMBP orders in the first day than they had of the 17 in the last year.

16. Boiler macrumors regular

Right. I think the cmbp 17 sold 50,000 units last year
    And the 15" might be 1 millions
    So the 15 mbpr overwhelmingly captures the share

Chances of being revived, 1%?

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I think it was 50,000 in the most recent quarter, according to one analyst.

Apple won't release hard numbers, but we may hear them say something like "biggest launch of a laptop in Apple history."

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You people cling to false hope. The damn thing isn't even for sale anymore on Apple's site and *that's* never been done before.

How much more of a "clue" do you need before you realize the MBP17 is dead?

19. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Really? 1.6" of extra screen space on a 15.4" laptop (10% screen size increase) is important for you enough that you would consider another brand and OS or another form factor altogether?

I find this weird since you'll already get a 16% screen size increase coming from a white MacBook. Let's not forget the Envy 17 has almost twice the thickness and weight of the rMBP and has a worse display.

20. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I clearly know that my memory aint reliable, should have noted.:p

Its no moon! Its my wife! RUN!

Im waiting for the 13'' RMBP, dont care for sizes that are 15, imagine a 17?

21. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

For someone who's username is "The Final Cut", I would assume you are a professional user, therefore, cost of equipment should be negligible due to tax deductions/writeoffs and usefulness of said equipment to get the job (assuming video editing) faster and more efficiently. Most professionals I know barely factor cost into the equation when purchasing equipment they are most comfortable using (most of them have 17" MacBook Pros that cost them over $3k), so your blanket statement of "wayyyyyyy too much" is incorrect based on my experience.

22. wethackrey macrumors 6502

I'm curious what factors make you dead set on a 17". My last two MBPs were 17" and I did love them. I ordered the 15" MBPr with some trepidation, thinking that the loss of the screen real estate would be a deal breaker. It turns out I was wrong. The retina display really does make a huge difference for me. I find it easier to work on the 15" retina that the 17" matte screen. And my eyes are not getting any younger.

Hey it's entirely likely you have a use case that mandates a 17". I do think you owe it to yourself to take a look at the MBPr before you jump over to the dark side.

23. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

To you. The 17" offers a physically larger display that is plenty "retina" when used at a normal distance. It also offers more ports without having to carry dongles, and the option to swap the Superdrive for a high capacity hard drive, as well as antiglare, superior speakers, ExpressCard for SxS cards and various other adapters, as well a (for me) a far more comfortable laptop to use when the only "desk" you have at your disposal is your actual lap. I owned the Retina MBP for over a week, but it simply couldn't replace my precious 17" in terms of sheer screen size, sound, and versatility. I for one will mourn the loss of the 17", but retain some hope that it is the hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

24. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would pay over 3000USD for a retina model.
    I mean, I want that model back.

25. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

I have no doubt they will bring back the 17 Inch MacBook Pro. Unless they want to become the laughing stock of the computing world they will have to.