Chances of buying iPad 3 on launch day

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vincenz, Mar 2, 2012.

1. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

So, can anyone chime in on the iPad launch-day buying experience for people who weren't around for it last year? There will most likely not be pre-orders given the nature of the device (not tied down to contracts, etc).

So for people with day jobs, is it pretty much a lost situation? If history tells us anything, what'll it be, 6 weeks wait time if you can't get one on launch day and have to order online?

2. superstrikertwo, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

There WILL be pre-orders. Not sure where you got the idea otherwise.

To answer your question people with day-jobs will just pre-order it and it'll be at your home on launch day (granted you ordered it the day it's announced).

Edit: My mistake coulda sworn they did pre-orders last year.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Oh, I suppose one source of the idea might be that there were no pre-orders on the ipad2 last year. :rolleyes:

Apple might do something different this time, but it's not a far fetched idea that they might repeat what they did last time around.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1113237

4. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

No guarantee there will be pre-orders, there weren't any last year.

If Apple doesn't do pre-orders, chances are slim of getting one on release if you can't wait in line for hours.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Oh good.

Another thread on this topic.

I would suggest the next person who opens a thread about launch day ought to be barred from buying an iPad 3, and be forced to be photographed in a Radio Shack store and have it posted on YouTube.:rolleyes::p

6. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I may just wait in line on launch day and take my chances.

7. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

I went to Target at 4:15 PM and was walking out with my 64 GB iPad at 5:10 PM, I was third in line when they started the sale at 5 PM.

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

From what I remember, everyone who stood in line on launch day last time got one. So I plan to stand in line from about 4-5 hours before opening and pick mine up.

Pre-orders would be icing on the cake, but unless they deliver on launch day (so I can confirm mine is on the way and that the preorder won't be cancelled or delayed like is Apple's custom around these launches) or the preorder guarantees you one at the store, I will stand in line and buy one in person regardless. Just don't want to risk it.

9. grahamlower macrumors newbie

Lauch Day Buying Experience

I bought an iPad2 on launch day last year, and I wanted to share my experience. Long story short: location and flexibility really help.

I took a half day last year (not specifically to get the iPad2) and went by the local Apple Store. By the time I got there (just after lunch) the line was about 125 deep (I quickly counted, so I could have been off by a few). I wanted to an iPad2, but not so bad that I was going to stand in line for hours. I decided to go get coffee and a bite to eat and see what the line did. If it didn't get too much bigger as it approached 5pm, I was willing to get into it.

After a few hours of eating, drinking, and browsing a local book store, I returned. The line had easily doubled (before loosing site around a corner) with still 2 hours to go, so I decided to move on. On my way home I drove by the local Best Buy. The line didn't appear nearly as long, but it still was very significant, so I decided to pass. I had heard that Target was selling the iPad2, though only in limited options (16GB White WiFi only, and 32GB Black WiFi only, if I recall). I stopped by the Target that happened to be a hop, skip and a jump from the Best Buy.

The Target had 5 to sell, but were already accounted for. They were taking names for the waiting list, in case someone didn't show in the first hour, they would start going through the waiting list. I would have been 12 on the waiting list. There was a Target closer to my home, however, and I asked them if they would call. They did. There were 10 at that store, but only the 16GB White WiFi only, first come first server with none accounted for.

I drove to my local Target arriving a few minutes before 5pm. I was number 3. By 5:05pm I was out the door with my new iPad2 in hand (and the Target Red card's 5% discount). Home by 5:15, playing with my new toy.

I can't say that Target will have the iPad3, or what quantities of models, but I think they are worth trying if you try and get an iPad3 at launch. I would also look at other vendors, especially if they are not the normal channels.

Cheers.

10. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

why you you post a photograph on youtube?

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

On launch day, I will be at my local fast food place, than I will go about my daily business, go home and watch the news about the launch lines :D. Than I will order on line, and wait. I will read up on those that get the iPad on day one, and post on this forum about how they like it. ;)

1) I cannot bare to stand in line for this. Not worth it...

2) Do not want my face on TV so my friends can laugh at me for standing in line :)

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Um...see...that was a joke.

Just a teeny bit of sarcasm...:rolleyes:

Ah...if I have to explain it....:p

13. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

oh no i got the joke, but youtube is for videos, not photos - i wasn't being serious.

i thought it'd be funny, i guess i ruined it.

14. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

Since this is such a big upgrade from the 2...I'm going to guess the lines might be starting by Thursday. Just a guess....

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah, I'm a little slow.

Time to get back on the meds...:D

16. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Lines will start five minutes after the keynote, on 3/7.

17. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You were the exception--the number of units received at Target was wildly inconsistent. I spoke with the staff at my local Super Target (big, busy store in metro Tampa area) the next day and he said they ended up getting NONE, had no idea when first units would arrive.

FWIW, I got in line at one of our local Apple Stores about 1 1/2 - 2 hours before launch and was quite a ways back in line but still walked with one for me and another for my wife, spending about 3 - 3 1/2 hours total in line/buying in the store. Biggest problem at our location was that 16 and 32 GB wifi and AT&T models sold out pretty quick in both colors.

18. glen e macrumors 68030

I'm hoping if I get an order in on launch day on the apple store site, I get it by april 1....

19. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

I'm sorry but what I meant to say was Thursday of the Friday its set to be released. So if it is the 16th I expect to see lines by the 15th.