Chances of getting an 8GB iPhone replaced with a 16GB when they release the 32GB???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luke1robb, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

So my 8GB's screen is messed up and I've been told by a Genius to just bring it and it'll get swapped out. My question is: If apple releases a 32GB one soon and phases out the 8GB one, do I have a chance of being given a 16GB when exchanging the phone, or will I most likely just get a refurbished 8GB?

Thoughts?

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Chance is probably 1%

As unless they are all out of 8Gb Refurbs, they may give you a 16Gb Refurb.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You will almost certainly get an 8 GB unless if there is some strange reason like the one listed above.

4. svndmvn Guest

5. misterpasta macrumors member

ridiculous question

Ridiculous Question and you knew the answer. You have zero chance.
    Apple likely has parts on hand for many years of repairs.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is almost a guarantee that you will still receive an 8GB iPhone in exchange.

7. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I appreciate the quick responses and yes, I kind of knew the answer already, but just wanted to make sure I was thinking right. I'll be stopping in to my local Apple store, Boylston St (favorite), to exchange out my iPhone.

8. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I sent my 1st gwn nano in since it overheated and got an email asking if I would take a 3rd gen fatty becuse they have no 1st gen nanos left.

9. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

That's completely off topic, but you should ask them for the new nano and just say you'll take a refurbished one. Fatty, IMHO, sucks.

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

No its not...

He took in a 1st Gen Nano, and got a 3rd Gen Back, one of considerably higher value, which is basically what you want.

11. svndmvn Guest

maybe in a couple of years if you have Apple Care or you pay to get, for instance, your battery exchanged, I believe they should give you a refurb back. Right now, I believe they are out of 4GB iPhones, for example, it is confirmed you get an 8GB original iPhone back if you want your 4GB fixed. And still, if the 32GB is coming, or whenever it is, I doubt the 8GB would die, it is still of good value, so we'd still have to see them on the Store and therefore more and more becoming refurbs.

12. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

first of all there wont get rid of the 8 gig thats there best selling model. also they wouldnt give you a 16 even if they didnt have any 8's they would order a 8 and wait to give it to you

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's not the best selling model because of capacity rather for price... It's not like they hold the same prices for all of eternity.

14. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

but what thell do is just add on the 32 for 400$ no chance getting rid of 8 not alot of people need 16 gigs