Chances of getting iPhone 5 without a preorder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silverbullet361, Sep 18, 2012.

1. silverbullet361 macrumors newbie

silverbullet361

What are the chances of getting an iPhone 5 on launch day without a preorder?

To improve these chances, where should I target to buy on launch day (i.e. AT&T, Best Buy, RS, Walmart, Apple Store)?

I did a direct order for the iPhone 4s and had it shipped to me, and did not have the opportunity to preorder for the iPhone 5 due to rigorous business travel. What was availability like for buying the 4s without a preorder?

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks! :D

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

3. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I'd figure the line lengths are in proportion to the amount of phones in stock (Apple store will have hundreds in line, carrier stores a few dozen).

Be there early or wait a few days.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

5. NightCastle macrumors member

"Never tell me the odds."

6. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

You have Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Radioshack (maybe?), Apple Stores, and AT&T stores. IF you live in an area where there aren't too many of those stores and just one Apple store, then go now.

If you live in a place where it's covered in all those different kinds of stores then people will spread out.

It all depends on where you live honestly.

7. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I would think that the place with the most iPhone 5s in stock will be the Apple Store. However, I think most people will go to the Apple Store. You could try your luck at a local wireless carrier store (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint), but I think they'll have less in stock.

8. silverbullet361 thread starter macrumors newbie

silverbullet361

So you're saying I have a chance? lol

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

As soon as you have this information, you can pick the best way

1 - # of people that want an I-5 this week

2 - # of people that did preorder and will not be standing in line

3 - # that each store will have

4 - # of each type of phone, memory, color, carrier

5 - # of people that will hit that store vs another

Then, and only then will you have an answer. Comparison to last year or last model are of little value.

10. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I think it depends where you live. I have 2 Apple stores within 15 minutes of each other here in Columbus. 3 ATTs in walking distance, about 15 around the city. 6 Radio Shacks within 3 miles a best buy and walmart next to each other. I think my odds will be pretty good come friday.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I've never been to a launch and not gotten an Apple product, but yes you will have to do some waiting.

You can't be disappointed if you arrive at 6pm or the next day and all available phones have been sold, but just like in the past, they get new shipments everyday (except on sundays).

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

go to the Apple Store for sure, it may be a wait tho

13. DArsenault macrumors regular

If you got to the Apple store before or around when they open, you will most likely get one. You will have to wait in line for awhile but you'll probably get one. Then again, there are about a dozen Apple stores near me so that might be why I've had so much luck in the past. The only issue would be getting the one you want size, color etc. But if you want a 16GB, black, you'll probably been fine, they will have tons of those.

14. goatlink macrumors newbie

best bet is at 3rd party site

Having been to different places for launch days since the original iphone came out, the WORST thing you can do is go to an apple store, regardless of where you live. By far the biggest lure of the iphone is the aura around it and apple; that is not a criticism as i love my iphone. However, it does ensure the maximum amount of people will go to and through apple stores for the iphone. (multiple stores as of yesterday already have people lining up for launch day.)

Yes, 3rd party retailers have less product, but the more product at apple stores is not NEARLY offset by the amount of people.

Your best bet is by far a 3rd party retailer. Of those, Best buy generally gets a good amount of stock in my experience, with the least lines. I would start there. Radio shack is also a good try as they do not attract much of a crowd typically.

Just my 2 cents

15. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I am just going to go to the AT&T store first thing in the morning on Friday. I want the 32GB black iPhone 5, but might jump to 64GB since there is a good chance that will be the last one to sell out. If they are already sold out, I still have my pre-order that will deliver by Oct. 5. :)

16. 808geek macrumors member

Living in the heart of the Bay Area, CA and having 15 Apple stores makes it easier for me. Although this year I pre-ordered at Best Buy and hoping to get a call from them either tomorrow of Thursday to come pick up my phone.

I know with Best Buy they weren't selling any phones until all pre-orders were filled. Not sure how many pre-orders they got or how many they'll be receiving in. I got there Friday afternoon about 12:30pm. Granted the store was only open since 10am but they had a lot of orders that morning and majority of them were for AT&T customers and I'm one of them. I asked if they were opening early on Friday and they aren't sure, that is yet to be decided for that particular Best Buy.

17. silverbullet361 thread starter macrumors newbie

silverbullet361

Fo the iPad 3 launch on comparison, I was in and out of Best Buy in 10-minutes. They had plenty in stock, and the location I was at only had about 10 people in line. At the time, I had thought that Apple had started loosen up on keeping the supply to themselves, and allowed their resellers to have more inventory on hand for launch day.

Did it seem that way for the 4s launch?

18. ben824 macrumors regular

I always go to a rural AT&T store. The lines are shorter, people don't get there days in advance and camp out at most the night before but that is like two people, and I get there 2-3 hours before they open and I can usually be one of the first 10 in line.

19. silverbullet361 thread starter macrumors newbie

silverbullet361

I don't think rural AT&T is a practical option for me, as I live in downtown Chicago.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This is rather common thinking. Yet it really doesn't matter how many they have, it's all about how many buyers show up. As most know, Apple stores draw massive crowds.

In addition, it's in Apple's best interest to insure their re-sellers have phones as well. They cannot set records if Apple is the only store that has phones.

On my commute to work, I pass by two AT&T corporate stores. Last year the lines were short. A few of my friends tried these two and everyone got the phone they went in for. The largest which is the closest to me, sold phones from 8 AM until just afternoon before they sold out.

21. Fontane macrumors regular

I called my local radio shack and she said they are taking preorders right now and they still have them available. Said we can pick it up on Friday.

She acted as if it was a no-brainer that they have them available, so I'm guessing that 1) she doesn't understand an Apple product launch or 2) there are too many Apple stores, verizon, att etc in this area and no one uses RS. Either way, I'm thinking of going tomorrow to pre-order and pick up on Friday.

22. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I reckon if you get to an Apple Store for about 5am on launch day you'll get hold of one easy.

23. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

IDK about that, when I went to the Apple store for the iPhone 4 that had in store pre orders the non preorder line had to be around 800 people long by 5.

24. jcliden macrumors member

not sure about that. dunno about phones but when I went for the iPad, stood in line for over 3 hours and not even a quarter of the people who stood in the line went home with an iPad.

25. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Ouch where was that?

In London there are about 5 Apple Stores which always have a decent amount of stock plus all the network stores near them selling on plans. Usually getting there early enough means you should be fine.