Chances of Hotspot coming to other carriers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fishmoose, Jan 11, 2011.

1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

What chances do you guys think the hotspot feature has coming to other carriers than Verizon? Since it seems to be an OS feature I see no reason other carriers can't support it. Schiller hinted at that too:

Source

So are we betting everyone gets this in the next update or will each carrier have to support it like tethering?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm betting the capability will be included in the OS but each carrier will be able to control it/charge for it just like tethering now.

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Or you can just jailbreak your phone and get the capability today. Why Apple bends to AT&T's whims about tethering is beyond me.

4. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, my carrier added tethering the same day iPhone OS 3.0 came so if this is in the next iOS version I'm betting they'll do the same. Hopefully it is up to the carrier and it seems like it is.

5. monaarts macrumors 65816

I think AT&T will be forced to allow for the wireless hotspot to work for free on their phones too, otherwise they may lose customers to Verizon. We'll see...

6. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Business Insider

7. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

It is a popular feature. One worth including.

8. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

This is the only feature that I am jealous of on the Verizon iPhone. Sure I have MyWi on my phone but it would be nice to be able to do it on the stock iOS.

9. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

The feature it's free since it comes with iOS, bur I doubt it will work for free like Mywi does. Driod phones have this feature and they have to pay to use it.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    They will try to keep up with Verizon.
    They are already offering official tethering thru USB and bluetooth. They'll probably just include wifi tethering also.

11. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Yup, 2GB for $20.

This is the kind of reason why everyone should be happy it is on Verizon. Would other carriers have a fire under them to add more features and data plans if their prime competitor was not doing so?