Chances of new 13" not having full video card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScholarsInk, Dec 14, 2010.

1. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

I know there are constantly threads about the 2011 MacBook Pro revamp, but I had a fairly specific query. I was hoping to know the chances of the new model not having a video card - a lot of people on the forums have theorised that the new 13" will have integrated Intel graphics, which would be awful because I use my current (2009 model) for a lot of gaming via Boot Camp and I damaged it and need to upgrade.

Sorry for the bother, but I'm hoping for clarification.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Late 2009 13" Macbook Pro has the Nvidia GeForce 9400M graphics. Not Intell Integrated ones. And the current 2010 13" don't have Intell ones either. They use the Nvidia GeForce 320M. Both of which are good for older/non-graphics intense gaming.

3. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

They both are integrated. Not discrete. In other words, they share the computers RAM, and don't provide their own.

The chances? If it goes with Sandy Bridge, and nothing changes between NVidia and Intel (probably already too late to happen), then I would say very slim.

Also, I think that NVidia 320m outperforms anything Intel has in the same range by quite a bit.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I know that. And because I know that I never used the word "discrete" and because Intell does not make them they are not Intell Integrated Graphics.

5. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Touche.

Either way, I don't expect the graphics performance of an Intel card to outperform the current NVidia cards. Probably the best option is to a) get a new MBP 13 inch, or b) buy the 15 inch MBP. We aren't expecting any new upgrades until April-May, so that may be a bit longer than you want to wait for playing games.

(off-topic: Hey, Intell: do you misspell Intel purposely, due to your username?)

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I do indeed and I give you a gold star for being the first to notice it.

*Gives JKK photography a gold coloured star sticker*

7. ScholarsInk thread starter macrumors regular

I understand. I wasn't saying I wanted Intel graphics, though - I was saying much the opposite. :)