Chances of next gen iPhone going to T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Aug 15, 2011.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Honestly I love my carrier and shouldn't have to switch to an over priced carrier that offers less for more. Can anyone speculate on the chances of T-Mobile getting the iPhone 4S/5 whatever its called this fall? I know T-Mobile will eventually be AT&T but I'm hoping it hits T-Mobile first. T-Mobile has a far superior GSM network than AT&T and could match verizon if they only had their coverage.

Fingers crossed!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, the merger will take a little while to go through so it might be worth it for Apple to release one.

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

With AT&T's proposed acquisition, I say no. If you must, buy an unlocked iPhone.

4. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

An unlocked iPhone is outrageous and is not compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network.

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

It's not outrageous, but yes, it is incompatible with T-Mobile's 3G.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The real question is: what are the chances of AT&T acquiring T-Mobile

high.
    if so, i'm sure there'll be a iPhone that's compatible with the 1700 3g bands Tmobile uses so things work out smoothly after the merger

7. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

$649 is A LOT of money for a phone. $199 I can understand. Why pay $649 for a phone that isn't 100% compatible with your carrier? I have bills to pay and two small kids to feed. I'd be a complete moron to buy an unlocked iPhone.

----------

Yeah but I am sure in order to for existing T-Mobile customers to get an iPhone they would have to surrender their grandfathered T-Mobile data plan.

8. Akack macrumors 6502a

+1, but I'm not holding my breath :eek:

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm right there with you buddy. I have never had problems with T-Mobile in my area and I really want the next iPhone to come to them. I will be so sad to have to leave T-Mobile to get the iPhone 5.

10. kcmo macrumors member

I'm hoping for the same. Have been with T-Mobile for 9 years and have a super grandfathered plan (using a Blackberry) that I'd hate to lose but I've wanted an iPhone for over a year now and I'm tired of the issues I've been having with my 2 year old Blackberry....T-Mobile service has actually gotten a lot worse in my area which is frustrating too.

I may just jump ship when the iPhone 5 comes out and be done with it all.