chances RIM releases BBM to other phones...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Josb0411, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Josb0411 macrumors newbie

long time Blackberry user, jumped ship to verizon iPhone and couldn't be happier...wondering if anyone sees RIM releasing BBM to other phones, possibly as an app...only thing i miss from blackberry...i think this would be a big hit!

2. predwas macrumors member

3. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Don't need it on iPhone never have never will.

4. darkside flow, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

darkside flow macrumors 6502

Never, ever, ever going to happen.

You said it yourself; it's the only thing people really miss from Blackberry, so BB will never offer it on other platforms.

5. Josb0411 thread starter macrumors newbie

would definitely use it...i'd prob pay a good price for it if it worked the same way lol

6. diegoesk macrumors regular

at this point in the game, its pretty much the only thing keeping them in the game (besides secure enterprise email). In my most Humble opinion of course.:D

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The same chance as seeing iPhoto and Final Cut Pro come out for Windows.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

whats the hype about bbm??

Why not just txt the person?

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

11. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Just to name a few advantages:

Contact list
    Read receipts
    Delivered receipts
    Group chat
    Send location
    Send any file you want to group or individual
    Messages over data instead of SMS (think about benefits during travel and speed of messages)
    Can give your PIN instead of phone # (in case you meet someone that you don't want having your personal phone number but wouldn't mind speaking with over bbm)

12. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Apparently it's the instant delivery of messages, messenger style interface, ability to check if messages have been read and no cost for individual messages (runs over data). Otherwise, it's just text and picture messaging that requires a separate contact number (PIN).

13. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I actually read about a month ago that RIM was thinking about licensing their software (including bbm) to other mobile operators. It's definitely not LIKELY but I wouldn't say there is no shot.

14. Josb0411 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah dont think it'll happen either...would be nice for apple to maybe add a few of the bbm options to its texting or come out with something similar to it

15. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

If you recently switched from BB to iPhone you might not have heard of WHAT'S APP. It's very similar to BBM, but not as reliable. It should satisfy you immediate need for BBM.

16. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

17. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Aren't there other "IM" packages you can download that do basically the same thing? I have seen a ton of different IM packages, most that do it via data instead of SMS. Most also give you access to user names or "pins" so you don't have to give out your phone number. Most send the most common files (although without a real file system it doesn't matter much on the iPhone). And sending location is possible with these apps as well.

The problem with any of these apps is that both ends have to have them. Same as the BBM app (if it existed). Unfortunately, few people download and use them, most just use the built in texting app.

BTW, built in texting app can do some of your features such as group chat, contact lists and multimedia files. Can't do read confirmations, delivery confirmation (is that really needed?), PINS, and location (which they should do).

18. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

The fact that BBM is on EVERY single blackberry device and always on is a huge benefit. Some of the 3rd party IM applications contain some of the features but none have all and most of them suck. I believe the only one with read receipts is Kik and RIM banned it from their app store.

I'm not sure what you're talking about b/c the SMS app cannot do groups (it lets you send a message to multiple people but if someone responds it only goes back to you, not the whole group), doesn't have contact lists (just shows recent conversations and accesses your full address book...no buddy list or favorites), and you can only send pics or video messages (short videos too). BBM lets you send any file type. The SMS app isn't anything close to as good as BBM...it's a simple text messaging app and lacks all the features previously mentioned.

19. Josb0411 thread starter macrumors newbie

i would try to dl other IM apps but unfortunately most of my contacts if not all wont have it...BBM is in all BB so it's easier to connect cause both parties would have it

20. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Unfortunately, until Rim decides to open up their network and allow for 3rd party apps to use that information, there is no way anyone can make anything work with them. Thus, if this is a killer feature you have to have; then maybe a Blackberry is the right device for you.

Maybe someone can reverse engineer their network security and protocol and thus make something work. But in doing so, they risk being sued by RIM; thus I don't see it happening unless RIM wants it to happen -- but being a feature unique to them, I can't see it happening unless they are totally desperate.

Sorry.

21. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Whats the point of any of these messaging systems when EVERY phone has a messaging application already built in which is a standard. Its called TEXTING.

Seriously though, which contract doesn't have unlimited texts these days? Its hard to find one, even at £15 a month including data.

22. ascNYC macrumors member

Have you tried Kik?

I too was a 10+ year BB user who switched this past year to the iPhone. One of the very few things I missed from the BB OS was BBM. Kik however I have found to be as good if not better. It offers the following benefits:

- Shows "sent", "delivered" and "read" status
    - No adds
    - Cross platform support (iPhone, Android, Blackberry)
    - Shows when the person you are chatting with is typing
    - Clean, intuitive GUI
    - Free app
    - Works in the background (iOS 4+)

It does have it's limitations (no attachments, have to register with a user name, RIM recently stopped supporting but I think you still may be able to find it and install on your BB)

Check it out - I REALLY like it and find it superior to texting, AOL, Yahoo chat, etc.

-andrew

23. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I HIGHLY doubt this will ever happen. If they had bbm on other phones, no one would buy a blackberry. Let's be honest, their phones are terrible and have been steadily declining since iOS and android. This is like their golden egg of look what we have. It's not happening.

24. Scope1230 macrumors member