Chances there will ever be an Atheist President?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PhoenixMac, Sep 4, 2012.

?

Do you think there will ever be an Atheist President?

1. Yes, but not in my lifetime.

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Yes

29 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. No, never!

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

What do you think the chances of ever having an Atheist President. With how huge the population of Americans that are religious, and how going to a certain church where a pastor can potentially tarnish your image, do you think we would ever accept a nomination for an agnostic/atheist candidate?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Our PM's an atheist.

Pretty much the only thing she's got going for her.

Our next election will be just like that one on South Park between the giant douche and the turd sandwich.

I don't think the religious leanings of any politician should ever be an issue, they should not court the religious vote, appear to favour one particular religion or call on fictional supernatural deities for policy decisions.

They should govern based one what's best for their constituents.

3. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    If it happens, I don't think it'll play out that a candidate actively declares him or herself as atheist. I think if it did happen, it would happen at a time society becomes less religiously active and combines religious and political views less, and candidates would start to become more private about their beliefs. I think already we have candidates who talk about the importance of their beliefs in varying degrees. Ranging from Pat Robertson who ran for president to Ralph Nader.

If a candidate right now were to talk about his or her beliefs less, I'm not sure if there would be a huge clamoring for more information. You could, as a candidate, say that your beliefs are personal and private. I'm not sure if it would play out well, though, if you didn't at least say you were Christian.

And, it doesn't seem to be going in the direction where politics and religion are becoming more separate. But it could change. Remember that Jefferson was very skeptical of parts of the Bible. He wrote his own copy, taking out most of the supernatural elements and I think all of Revelations.

But for right now I think you would at least need to be Christian, if in name only. I don't think being fanatical about it, talking about it a lot, or going to church regularly is necessary. Just some lip service.

4. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

That made me smile. :D

Anyway, never say never but it will be a loooong time I think.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think swingerofbirch is right about how that may eventually happen.

I often wonder where humanity would be without the hinderance of religion. It'll happen one day but things are going to get uglier and more divisive as science continues to reveal things that stubborn believers don't want to hear.

I wish I could be around to see the day when those that believe in gods as described in holy books are but an insignificant number of crazy people. For now they are writing laws and dictating what is taught to children. This scares and appalls me. I'm getting used to that feeling. :-/

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wonder how many previous presidents, prime ministers, leaders etc have been secretly atheist/agnostic?

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Your PM is the lowest form of atheist. Doesn't believe in a deity, but accepts religious indoctrination and bigotry. Some new sort of idiot. :confused:

Dawkins has a poll in the start of one of his books (maybe God Delusion) that shows that Americans would be more likely to vote for any type of person (black, gay etc) than they would for an atheist. Only around 50% thinks an atheist is trustworthy enough to hold a position of power.

The UK has an atheist deputy-Prime Minister but he's only noteworthy for being a Tory lapdog. Hopefully he'll disappear into obscurity soon.

I think we won't see an openly atheist PM in the UK, or atheist Pres in the US in my lifetime.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

9. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I would bet there have already been several atheist presidents, including the current POTUS.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Quite,if the number of Catholic priests I've met who are actually atheists is anything to go by I'd think several have been atheists.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It will NEVER happen. Because the primary objective of all politicians is to remain politicians.

They're all a bunch of useless idiots.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's not easy to be an atheist and living common law and STiLL be a homophobic bigot, but she manages.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh, never said she wasn't a decent multi-tasker. :D

14. BugBytes, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016

BugBytes macrumors regular

15. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Most of the guys who end up as president are probably atheist anyway, only being christian in name. It may be difficult for an open atheist to swing some republican voters though.

Either way, you're much more likely to see an atheist potus than, lets say a Hindu, or Sikh one. Even less so for a Muslim guy.

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    When are we going to see a black or gay PM in the UK I wonder. Chuka Umunna is a likely candidate for a black PM. I would like to see an openly gay PM, that would shake our constitutional conventions to their core.

http://www.chuka.org.uk/

17. malman89 macrumors 68000

I voted "No, never!" not because I'm against it, but believe it'll be near the end of my lifetime (even though I'm my 20s) or the country will collapse making it impossible for there to be an Atheist President :p.

Note: I'm going with a public atheist. I think anyone can easily get away with being publicly/privately non-practicing.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree somewhat, I get the feeling that Barack Obama is more of agnostic than an Atheist, and is paying lip service to Christianity. He's definitely not an evangelical nutter like GWB was, and doesn't believe in Planet Kolob and magic underwear like Mitt does.

But if the question is will we ever have an Atheist president who is out of the closet and openly admits he/she's an Atheist, I'm not sure. I'd like to think that in 50 years, when the older generation dies off, some of the attitudes towards nonbelievers, or those who believe differently, will die off with them, but I know plenty of people in their 20s who carry that same attitude.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm much more interested in having a governing body that actually embraces secularism than a president that plays on my team. Nobody's beliefs should be law, and anybody that truly understands that is more valuable to a nation than somebody who believes what I believe.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Never- most Americans are too stupid and paranoid.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe it's likely we'll get a spiritualist/agnostic type leader sometime in the distant future, after humanity smartens up. That choice was not available on the poll.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They probably all are atheists already. With the way they run the show they surely aren't worried about being judged. ;)

23. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

A more interesting question, to my mind, is when we'll see an openly gay heir to the throne. Party leaders are chosen, but being gay is more-or-less random chance.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think we'll see a woman president, a Hispanic president and a gay president before we see an atheist president. That's how things work here in Jesusland.

So nope, not in my lifetime.

25. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

You guys are headed towards a theocracy. It can go either way now. Be careful, or you won't have atheist citizens, let alone presidents. :)