Change from push email to manual - anyone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bp1000, May 14, 2012.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I recently changed from push to manual email collection

I find it strangely liberating.

Someone hot on productivity who has read all the books and tried many strategies suggested this to me recently. I must confess to being stubborn on the benefits of push email. A company i worked for a few years ago always issued blackberrys and i guess that converted me.

I run a business myself, an online business so it's actually pretty vital communication tool. For those reasons i was firmly in the push email camp.

I begrudgingly turned off push and ive found i'm just as productive and dare i say it, more productive. I also find myself replying to emails instead of saving them for later and forgetting about them because they interrupted a task far higher on the priority list.

The general idea is to not allow distractions to interrupt your work flow. If it is urgent they will call. Then allocate time when comfortable, e.g. every 30mins or hour to check email and work through 1 by 1 as a task in itself.

Essentially everyone is happy, your phone does not interrupt your workflow and you reply to people and never forget.

So far so good. Time will tell if delaying a response to a critical email will cause problems.

I also enjoyed family time over the weekend without being interrupted by stuff that could wait. Since then ive thought back to the countless times at parties, christmas and holidays etc where my phone has been interrupting personal time. 99% of the time it is stuff that can wait.

Wondered if anyone else has switched and if they stuck with it?

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Nope I need my emails instantly so I can be top of all my business at all times. If you need to focus on a specific task and need to avoid email and messages then put your phone on silent and out of reach for a few hours. I would refuse to work with someone who took hours to respond to every single email. If it's once in a while, it's totally fine.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've found that "inbox zero" and similar strategies tend to be an excellent coping mechanism for those who aren't good at compartmentalizing, and prioritizing mentally. So if turning off push works for you, great.

For me, I've not really noticed a difference either way, and actually, notification center has really been a big help. If I hear a push e-mail come in, I'll check it if I'm not busy. If I am, it'll wait. Sometimes, seeing the notification helps me prioritize as well... if it doesn't look important, back in the pocket my phone goes, and I'll look at/reply/delete it later.

4. takeshi74, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

I already do this with push. The two things aren't mutually exclusive as you make them out to be but that's a subjective matter. It would be a lot easier in general if IOS allowed you to assign email alerts based on criteria that you specify.

Does it really matter? Do what works for you.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i've disabled push in favor of manual e-mail fetch to save battery.

and i've been impressed by how much this has extended my battery life every day that I've concluded that this far outweighs the benefit of push mail.

6. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

Its best to train oneself than train the technology that exists to help you out.

Push is awesome and you just need to prioritize work by putting your phone down. You can mark as unread so you remember to read your mail later but turning push off defeats the whole purpose of staying online.

My point of view so maybe you will have a better experience keeping it off.

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

When I am at work and can leave my iPhone plugged in I leave Push activated. When I leave work I switch to manual.

8. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

it's preference really
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337098850.122765.jpg

you may like a toggle.

9. JAT macrumors 603

I did the opposite switch this year. But I have it set to no sound for emails, so I don't instantly know when they come in. That way, Notifications gives me all emails instantly, whenever I choose to check it out.

10. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

I like it that way too. sound off and push on.. it's gets queued in notifications and you're good to go.

kudos!

11. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I set to manual as well. I don't need the bombardment of emails throughout the day. I check when I have time and reply to the important ones.

12. mossyrock13 macrumors newbie

+1

13. mossyrock13 macrumors newbie

+1