CHANGE.GOV - Obama for America - What's Next?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    To supporters:
    I heard he was going to possibly be opening his transition office today (or soon) and naming his Chief of Staff. I'm very interested to see what he will be doing to transition or manage "Obama for America" into the new administration, or whether it will be kept as a side organization. I'm very excited about how he's going to go about getting to work. It's a complex problem, but he seems to have a solid set of organizational instincts behind him and an appreciation of how to form and keep a coalition together.

~ CB

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Exciting times that's for sure. As a European I am extremely glad that America has made the sensible decision and gone for someone that actually appears to have a diplomatic and reasonable outlook to the world.

I was always worried about McCain due to his constant talk about military service and how that would help him to win the war on terrorism. But lets be clear here, he was a pilot not a general. He had little if any tactical involvement therefore he would have had no advantage over anyone who had not been in the military. Sure basic officer training, but that does not make a great general :).

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's gonna be tough, to be sure. Expect the next two years to be rough, then we should see marked improvement. That's what happened after Clinton took office.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I hate to be the downer in this thread, but...

What's next? The remaining Republicans will do everything in their power to make sure Obama is not successful, to destroy him.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Gonna be hard to do with the way the House and Senate are shaping up.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That's right -- just as they did during the campaign itself. It didn't work then; we'll see if it works now.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^^^ Truth be known, I seriously doubt giving consideration to the House (as Gary stated) and the rest of the nation that it is as simple as saying the Republicans are going to somehow sabatagoe Obama. To me, these statements are what I somewhat expect to see. Every wrong move Obama makes (and Dem or Rep we know he'll make a wrong move somewhere), will somehow be blamed on the Republicans. I hope this doesn't happen.

To clarify why I believe Obama will make a wrong move, it has nothing to do with my political affliation or my voting choice in the polls. It has to do with the fact that I don't know many Presidents that didn't make at least one wrong move. Call it lack of experience, call it being new to the way things run, call it someone else's fault ... but it has happened, as far as I'm concerned with most if not all Presidents. Even Reagan, the President I personally admire most, made mistakes. My hopes is that we're not going to chalk it up to "the Republicans fault" and just call it what it is. Obama should be and will be personally responsible for his actions. If he can maintain that then he just may make me believe that he was really for change.

What's next? I'm going to hope Obama doesn't forget his overly expensive campaign promises like many seem to do. Obama did one thing that many haven't and that is, he used "change" as the basis of his entire message to such a degree that it really outdid any other "change" speech that any candidate has ever made. They all speak about change, Obama made it the centralized point of everything he spoke about. So let's see it. He has 4 years to make good on but one seemingly simple promise and that is "change".

8. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Well... not for nothing, but OBAMA thinks Obama will make a "wrong move" (it was in his acceptance speech). I seriously question anyone who thinks otherwise. The question will be how he handles mistakes, and how big the errors will be.
    I don't think a President Obama will chalk up minor missteps to partisan divisions. He will accept responsibility and move on. That is my expectation.
    He's shown a remarkable maturity and a very forward thinking mindset for problem solving, even in crisis. While some people wonder about the broad strokes, I'm seriously wondering about the details. He KNOWS about his deadlines and expectations being set. My wonder is, HOW he'll go about soving the problem, and whether his solution will be effective. Like... how do you communicate measurable progress in a country on the verge of a depression? How do you accomplish major improvements in an environment of scarcity? There will BE a plan, I wonder what it will be, and whether it will be effective.

~ CB

9. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I love this bit from a new article in the New York Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/us/politics/05ahead.html?em

A very good article about the next steps of the new President-elect.

~ CB

10. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Clinton took time getting his appointments through, and spent the first 2 years getting blocked by Republicans on some of his major plans, and the voters chose to reward the Republicans for the stalemate. I see a danger that people will blame Obama for the terrible economic situation we're going to have for the next several years, but otherwise, I don't think he will make the same mistakes Clinton did. A pundit last night talked about Kennedy and the Peace Corps -- Kennedy talked about it, and thousands signed up before it was even a concrete program. With the meticulous way Obama plans, I expect him to have programs like that, that can inspire people, and he has the infrastructure in place to call on millions in addition to the usual TV addresses. He has already hinted at it with his "community service" aspect of the college credit. If hundreds of thousands or even millions are on board with a proposal in an active way -- not just from an opinion poll -- before it even reaches the Senate, I don't see how anyone can filibuster the proposal. I don't think the words that Cleverboy highlighted from Obama's email were just rhetoric. If there are major roadblocks to his proposals, he has a huge base and structure to ask his supporters to support him, and call and write their legislators, etc. Television made a huge difference in politics, I see the Internet as being incredibly more powerful, and however it all plays out, it will be interesting to see the transition continue. Combining the Internet with someone from a background as a community organizer will be even more interesting.

(Having said all that, I don't think there will be radical changes in many areas, certainly not as much as is needed. But I'll take what we can get for now after the past eight years)

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Or not…
    :(
    This might just push W over the edge and start another European war.
    Russia to move missiles to Baltic
    BBC link

12. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I did not vote for McCain nor am I a supporter of him, but having been in the military and fought in a war does give you a distinct advantage over someone who has not been in the military. Presidents do not (or at least should not) be making tactical decisions in any war, but having military experience allows a president to understand the way the military operates and gives personal insight into the minds of the troops that are fighting a war.

I am not saying that McCain would be a better Commander in Chief than Obama, because a lot of factors go into that position, but any president would be better off if they had spent even a single tour in the military.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I know he said he would make mistakes, but this thread was prematurely taking a turn towards "oh well it's the Rep fault". I agree (and I thought I mentioned it) that this will boil down to how he handles things and whether he remembers his own words in the next four years. No doubt whoever won last night was about to embark in a very difficult four years given the state of the Union as a whole. No doubt he has a plan, if he didn't have a plan then there are over 50% of the people in the US who made a very wrong vote. ;)

I'll say this though, regardless of how I voted ... all I know is that can it really be as bad as the last 8 years? I'm thinking (hoping) not.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

First 100 days should see at a minimum:

1 National Healthcare

2 Raise FICA cap to refill OASDI trust fund

3 Structured and definite conditions-based timetable for an Iraq withdrawal.

4 Tax cuts for the poor and middle class and restoration of the top bracket to the level it was under Clinton

The tax changes are simple and will generate a feeling of financial security when we need it most. The healthcare change will be difficult, and will need to happen within the first 100 days in order to capture the impetus of the election mandate. Iraq is long overdue but needs to be done the right way because he will be held to a much higher standard than Bush on the issue.

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I agree with all, except I'm not sure about raising the top bracket right away. I've always heard you should never raise taxes during a recession. Maybe delay the increase for the top bracket until 2010?

16. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Sorry, but none of that is going to happen within 100 days, and Obama has not come anywhere near promising those things quickly, if ever, for some of them.

1. National health care? That's not Obama's proposal (unfortunately), and his proposal involves negotiating with drug companies, insurance companies, etc. They need to come up with costs for companies who want to opt into the "pay" part of "pay or play," and costs for individuals who want to buy in, etc. Expect this to pass in a year at the very earliest.
    2. That's not his proposal, either. He is keeping the cap, then, for those making over $250,000, they'd start paying a small amount again, up to 4% over many years. Any urgency about this is fabricated -- the social security and medicare funds are doing fine. I do see him addressing the issue pretty quickly, while he has a "mandate," but there is no urgency for the funds.
    3. Possible, but he needs to meet with Iraqis, get briefed, etc.
    4. The currrent tax cuts for the rich are in place for another 2 years, and any additional cuts for middle class wouldn't take effect until 2010 -- congress will pass another stimulus package which will be similar to parts of Obama's tax plan -- they may even do that this session.

Obama said what his domestic priorities are, and although he could change them, I don't expect him to (in addition to the stimulus package which he has talked about also)

1. Energy
    2. Education
    3. Health care

17. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Funny, that's exactly what my wife and I just ticked off. It's all about priorities. McCain refused to set them, Obama was pretty damn clear about them.

~ CB

18. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I think we can see a modern day CCC like Roosevelt had. It pulled the nation out of the depression,built infrastructure and created jobs. This concept will bolster the economy.

He has hinted at such a concept in many of his speeches and interviews and I hope it happens because that's exactly what this country needs at this time.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'd like to see a similar program as well. The CCC was truly the foundation of America's National Parks system and its impact can still be seen today. I don't think that it needs to be devoted solely to Parks work but I hope that the NPS would be included. Education and work with the elderly would also be excellent choices.

My grandfather always smiled when he talked about his time in the CCC. For the uneducated of his time, it was the equivalence of college dorm life!

20. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Has everyone visited CHANGE.GOV yet?
    http://www.change.gov/

New website for President-Elect Obama's transition.

Very cool.

Edit: Uh, oh... looks like the entire world has descended on the website and its gone down. That's kind of annoying.

~ CB

21. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

All I get is "No suitable nodes are available to serve your request."

22. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Thats cool, i think we can really see the internet play a bigger part in an Obama presidency.
    It worked for me for a bit today, then died. Obama's site was also painfully slow today.

23. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Yep. It's... getting a lot of traffic. I have a special domain tool that tells me where various websites live, but when I programmed it I was leery of querying governmental websites. I'd be interested to know if the site was being hosted at the same place as WhiteHouse.gov, or if its being hosted with BarackObama.com's IHP. Regardless... they need a bigger box. :)

From the website:
    ~ CB

Attached Files:

24. emw macrumors G4

emw

This is amazing to me. I mean who does he think he is - communicating with us about his plans, our plans, his vision, our vision, his agenda, and all of that?

Crazy. Simply crazy.

And, of course, brilliant and, theoretically at least, empowering. I love it. Thanks for the link.

Now, if only they can find some servers to handle the load.

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Radical... Dangerous.