Change MacBook Unibody 2010 refresh rate on Windows 7/8/8.1/10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NeVe12p4wNeD, Aug 26, 2015.

1. NeVe12p4wNeD, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

NeVe12p4wNeD macrumors newbie

NeVe12p4wNeD

Don't know if the right place to post this. Also this is a bit late but I'm sure some of you still have the laptop. Or if you're like me (unlikely) that really don't want to throw stuff away especially what's been with me through a long journey... Or just want an excuse to buy a new one if this really f*cked up. As to why do this... Why not?

Sorry if this is a dupe and ignore this if you already know it... or share your experiences!

Of course this is Windows through BootCamp and not Virtual Machines.

Here goes: On Windows 7/8/8.1 use driver version 331.82 as far as I'm concerned it is the most reliable. For Windows 10 use whatever is the latest that doesn't give you weird stuff on the screen.

Right click on Desktop > nVidia Control Panel > Under "Display" on the left choose "Change resolution" > Customize... > Tick the box for "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display" > Create a custom resolution > In the refresh rate box enter value between 60-160Hz > Click "Test" (at this point if something goes wrong you can wait 20 seconds and it will revert back to the original settings) > Click "Yes" to create custom resolution > Click OK > Under Resolution there should be a custom resolution listed, choose it and on the right make sure the colour depth is 32-bit > Apply.

The screen will be a bit faded with screen becoming a little bit brighter. Recommend adjust the colours under "Change colour" or something like that to about +65%. Also find a black cursor, the white one might be hard to see. I will not take responsibility for any damage caused by your own doing. Nope. That's a big NOPE. *insert nope gif here*

Oh, as a million people have posted on YouTube: set pre-rendered frames to 1 (0 if you have an older driver version... seriously though, update already).

I say Unibody 2010 because that's what I have. Therefore it might work with other ones running nVidia graphics (stuff you Intel). So yeah. Try it (at your own risk, did I tell you I hate being responsible for anything?). As I said you can always wait 20 seconds when you click the "Test" button for it to revert back.

*shhhh* this is a sink or swim thread. Waiting for people who says it doesn't work bashing me...

2. macenied, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

You have the MBP 7,1 Unibody 13" mid 2010 ( Geforce 320M ) ? In case you have we can go ahead with Windows 10 ( Pro ).

3. NeVe12p4wNeD thread starter macrumors newbie

NeVe12p4wNeD

No, I have the MacBook white 2010 but it has the same card (5 years and flying with SSD and RAM upgrade). I don't know about the screen which is the main thing in this case but according to everymac.com, it's the same specs. I have also tried this on Windows 10 Pro which I've stated in the post.

4. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

I see. On my MBP 332.28 is the latest ( Apple ) nVidia driver I can use for the 320m. Works on W7 - 10. It is part of the Bootcamp 5 packages. Maybe you want to give it a try.

5. NeVe12p4wNeD thread starter macrumors newbie

NeVe12p4wNeD

Ah yes. In that case use whatever is the best for you. The driver version doesn't really matter (unless it's the version 195.xx that came with BootCamp3) as long as it gives you a stable system.