Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Here's the deal:

1. Am changing my iP5 purchasing & carrier plans strategies.
2. My contract with AT&T is expring mid-next year but am eligible for full upgrade but I must do it with AT&T if I want it now but that would mean 2 more years of contract and a GSM not so global iP5.
3. Am thinking of purchasing outright / full retail / no contract the supposedly UNLOCK and more global Verizon iP5 because I travel overseas a lot, it is the one for me.
4. At the same time, I want to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan at AT&T especially at least up thru my contract expires.
5. Since the iP5 is unlock - maybe I'll just do pay as you go monthly or choose the best carrier by that time next year.
6. For my sanity, I really need an iPhone 5 now! :D
7. All opinions will be appreciated. Is this a great and really the best for me & my needs?
8. I'll be the happiest person in the world if any carrier sim LTE in the world will work on an unlock Verizon iP5.

CHEERS.

Last edited:

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
The only problem with your plan is that although you will be able to use an AT&T SIM in the Verizon iP5, you will be restricted to HSPA+. The Verizon iP5 cannot connect to AT&T LTE.

I think I'll just wait and see what they do with the 5S. Hopefully they will be able to come out with a true "world" phone -- even for LTE bands -- and go back to manufacturing a single model.

-- Nathan

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Thanks - that's what I thought.

By the way, my area is not among those in AT&T LTE market or expansion plan by EOY anyway.

I will have an unlimited of 3g and 3.5g only with an AT&T SIM.
I really want to test or get LTE speed once in a while

Who among Virgin Mobile or Cricket or straightalk (like AT&T 3g or 3.5 g only?) or Sprint even (should I say especially) Verizon have a pay as you go per month plan which has good LTE coverage that will work on an unlock Verizon iP5 and will not charge me activation fees whatever?

Am guessing Verizon is my best bet on a monthly basis but not really practical as their new shared data plan plus activations fees are expensive and not practical for this strategy.

Any other way or workaround as how can I taste cheaply the power of LTE on my situation with me not being tied to fresh 2 year contracts / buying a non-global iP5.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.