Change the Constitution so there is a maximum age for Presidential candidate?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Nov 25, 2018.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Change the Constitution so there is a maximum age for Presidential candidate?
    Currently there is no age limit for president, he could be 100 years old, no problem!

IMHO, there should be a maximum age.
    I would set it at 60 years old before the election.

The reason is not to prevent people like #45, and not even due to health concerns or mental sharpness.

My main rational is candidates who are more current with social, national, and world trends. Older people base their decisions on the prevailing attitudes and events of their youth (teens to thirties).
    Thus the candidate will be more current with trends and more flexible and open to more ideas in dealing with issues.

I am also wondering if the minimum age, currently at 35 years, be lowered to 30. Being a President is not so much knowing stuff, as managing the people you hire and the ability to learn all aspects of an issue.
    A younger mind is more flexible and quicker to absorb data.
    Sure, lack of experience may be concern, but that would likely prevent him from being a candidate anyway.

Just a thought, what you say?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Older minds can be flexible too if you work that way.

3. Rum_Becker Suspended

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

We have no problem setting a minimum age, so a maximum age is not that much of a stretch. It'll be called the Geezer Amendment. :)

I do sometimes think younger candidates might be more in tune with current issues. It's a bit disappointing that among potential Democratic candidates for 2020 we're seeing another round of septuagenarians. I'd just like to have a bit more variety.

5. Rum_Becker Suspended

By restricting more people. Lol, unbelievable how your logic works.

With your logic, we would have even more variety by excluding white people and men as well!!!

While we are at it why don't be make a genders studies degree to be mandatory.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

No need to do so. People are not going to vote for someone they deem frail and unable to run the country

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Sort of like the minimum age of 35 is discrimination. If we can have a 72 yr old man that acts like a 13 yr old, there is no reason we can't have a 13 yr old that acts like an adult run for POTUS.

8. Rum_Becker Suspended

Exactly!! I bet if Bernie won the OP would have never made this post.

Basically boils down to, should people I disagree with be allowed to run for president?

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

As we currently see with the present POTUS, people don't always pick wisely.

Oh look an eclipse

[​IMG]

10. Rum_Becker, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018

Rum_Becker Suspended

You don't fix one form of discrimination with more. But that is what the left loves to do. I see no reason why an 18 year old should not be able to run for office, not like they would win, I think 42 years old was the youngest one to date.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2018 ---

The alternative was worse.

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I agree, I was simply pointing out that a form of discrimination already exists, so it's not out of the norm to suggest a age limit as well. But Im ok with removing the age limit as well. I say have an age limit for both young and old or remove entirely.

Well that's what we call subjective.

[​IMG]

It turned out to be true after all.

12. Rum_Becker Suspended

Let's just raise the voting age to 35. If you are not eligible to be president why should you be allowed to vote.

Just a thought, what you say?

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Unbelievable (yet somehow not) how you only read into posts what you want to read. Perhaps when you’re done with your pointless railing against the boogeyman that is “the left”, I’ll dignify this with a better response. Until then, you can re-read what I wrote and consider whether I really said that my desire to see a wider variety of ages in candidates was contingent on support for an age restriction.

14. Rum_Becker Suspended

Lol

Let's have more variety of candidates by restricting old people.

Yes it is unbelievable!!!!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2018 ---
    This is just priceless

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Or lower it to 18 sounds like a better option

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Don’t be so rude about 13 year olds.

17. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

I'm serious when I say this, but the big problem is that Trump is on Twitter NOT because he's old. I mean any person will make posts that don't fit the norm when to post to a social media account. I can understand if someone was screening Trump's post to Twitter and I can't really imagine one of his advisors telling him that he can't post that, but from I understand he sometimes makes posts at 3 am or 4 am in the morning. This is just my opinion, but it might just be me rambling. :D

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We might need an age limit.

But I'd rather see Congress pass a law that requires the president to undergo an annual mental health evaluation, as well as a physical one. I'd like to see that report--at least a general summary--be exempt from HIPAA laws so we could all see the results.

And I'd like to see the 25th amendment changed so that someone other than the president's cabinet full of sycophants gets to decide whether he's competent. A special Congressional committee comprised of three Dems, three independents and three Republicans, for example.

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Minimum age could go down to 30. After all, you want to make sure the person has some experience, and any younger, they probably won't have much.

It's more important, if you're going to start changing these laws, is to make sure the candidate has experiencing serving the people at some lower level - be it president of the local Kiwanas chapter, or mayor. The president should be called to service, not just want to be president.

20. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I hesitate to say this, given how badly they screwed up in 2016, but it’s up to the voters to decide if a candidate is too old.

21. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

The issue isn't age, - it is character and temperament.

Any half decent executive and legislature needs a healthy mix of people of different ages, genders, socio-economic backgrounds, and ethnicities in order to be able to know better and understand the society, country and world they are legislating for.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm of the no more geriatrics in politics camp to but we don't need a constitutional amendment we just need to vote. The Boomers will be gone soon enough (fortunately) so we need to think about 2024 and beyond which means getting the young folks in state government not worrying who is POTUS right now. 2020 will be filled with geezers having their last day in the sun and we'll survive just push the young ones in closely behind them.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I’d only support that if we included the Legislative and Judicial branches in that amendment.

After all, if a person is too old to run the country then they are too old to make laws and decide court cases.

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Which also means NO MORE lifetime appointments. To any position. Ever.