Change to 16:9 displayratio

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Semester, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Semester macrumors regular

Semester

Apples iPhone and iPad today has a displayratio of 3:2. This is fine on the actual device but it is a bit unfortunate now that Apple has introduced airplay mirroring since a mirrored ipad screen never will fill the entire TV screen. There will always be some 18% on the sides that is just black. Now if Apple plans to enhance their "Apple TV" or even bring out their own television set one of the biggest selling points is obviously how you can use it with your iDevices. But if there will always be some blank spaces on the side it certainly would be a downer for me.
    Secondly it's almost inevitable that the handheld devices will merge with the stationary computer why you will soon be able to plug your phone into your desktop screen. And as you know those are 16:9.

Now changing this ratio would be a huge blow to many of the appdevelopers. But if Apple are to plan for the future ahead I believe this is a necessary change.

2. nmork macrumors regular

3. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Doesn't change the point of the post.

Having a true 'widescreen' ratio is a reason I used to argue that a display size change was coming with the new iPhone. Obviously, I was wrong...hopefully the next iteration gets it done.

4. macinnv macrumors regular

The HTC Sensation has 16:9, I like it but it's a little too much 'long and skinny'. Plus based on a lot of Apple bloggers smarter than me, it would seem Apple isn't likely to ever change screen size.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

16x9 is a so-so ratio for a tablet.

9x16 is a terrible, terrible one.

If people are going to continue rotating iPads this idea will never happen. Why should Apple cripple the iPad for the 95% of the time we use it hand-held just so it looks a little better those times we airplay? That's an awful deal to make.

6. amorya macrumors 6502

This.

If the only reason to want a 16:9 display on a device is to avoid black bars when Airplaying, just pester the developers of your favourite apps to support Airplay better. Sure, for mirroring, the stuff displayed on the TV has to be the same aspect ratio as what's on the device, but that's not true if the app developer has coded Airplay support into their application manually. Then, they can take full advantage of the TV screen and draw whatever they'd like there.

7. OSMac, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

iPhones probably could go 16:9 1280x720 without issue.

On the iPad, for reading I think Apple got it right.

Only thing that really matters being 16:9 is videos.
    Playing 16:9 videos, fill the TV when the ipad is connected anyhow.

You can always stretch your tv display if you dont like the black bars for 4:3 material, games etc.

Or get a Android tablet as well.

8. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Different aspect ratios for different devices.

Apple didn't pull these dimensions out of thin air, they will have tested hundreds of different screen sizes, ratios, resolutions, technology's etc.

There isn't one definite screen ratio that will work on all devices.

Hence each device has a different one.

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

This.

Wireless mirroring is a very cool feature. It's just that not being widescreen is poor. But you can still stretch your tv display.