Changed hard drive. Doesn´t recognize it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hynnen, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Hynnen macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I´ve repalced a defect hard drive in a MacBook Pro. But the Mac doesn´t recognize the new one.
    I have OSX-install on a USB-drive, and when it boots and I open disk utility, there is no hard drive there. Just the USB-drive.
    So I tried to connect the new hard drive to the USB (as an external hard drive), and that works great. I managed to install OSX on it to.

But when i assembly it in the Mac again a folder icon with a question mark appears..

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Also: when I connect the old hard drive back into the Mac, it recognize that one in disk utility...

2. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Do you partition the hard drive with OS X Extended format(HFS+)?

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Could be the sata cable.....

4. Hynnen thread starter macrumors newbie

os x extended journaled..

5. austinpike macrumors 6502

This seems to be a common response to this issue. Is an SSD more sensitive to a possible damaged SATA cable? It doesn't make sense to me that the hard drive would be recognized but the SSD is not.

I had the same experience upgrading a friend's 2008-ish macbook - I tried 2 or 3 different SSDs, all of which would either not be recognized or fail partway through OS installation. Yet the original hard drive and a new hard drive I ended up using both worked fine. (and the SSDs work fine in other machines.)

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It could be seated badly, the sata connection on the drive may have an issue, the sata cables in the older macbooks are notoriously finicky I'm afraid. You are right though if it works with one it should work with another.

7. Weaselboy, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It would not explain the drives not being recognized at all, but I think the reason SSDs bring out these cable issues is they are moving WAY more data across that cable, so if you have a borderline cable it is more likely to cause problems with a SSD than a HDD. It seem fairly common on here to see users who popped in a SSD and start having problems that are cured by a new cable.

I agree OP's issue is the cable.

8. Hynnen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the respons.

Now I have replace the sata cable, but it still doesn't work.
    It does recognize the hard drive, but when I try to install os x it just hangs. When it starts to install it says 17 min remaining. Arter 3 hours it says 15 min remaining :p
    Could it be something else? Mother board?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Possible... but a total logic board failure is pretty unusual. So you installed the new drive with the new cable then booted to the USB key... did you reformat the drive first from there before attempting the install?

10. austinpike macrumors 6502

I guess when I first read this I assumed you were replacing an HD with an SSD. But it sounds like you are just replacing with another HD? Is the replacement brand new?

My inclination is that the replacement drive is defective. I know it is no fun to throw money at a problem with no guarantees, but the next step for me would be to return/exchange/warranty the drive you have (if that's an option) and/or buy another one, at least to try out.

That doesn't necessarily explain why you were able to install OSX on the external, but I have had issues where a drive exhibits bad behavior on one connection (or computer) but not another.