Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hynnen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2015
New Mac repair, new issue :p

I´ve repalced a defect hard drive in a MacBook Pro. But the Mac doesn´t recognize the new one.

I have OSX-install on a USB-drive, and when it boots and I open disk utility, there is no hard drive there. Just the USB-drive.

So I tried to connect the new hard drive to the USB (as an external hard drive), and that works great. I managed to install OSX on it to.

But when i assembly it in the Mac again a folder icon with a question mark appears..

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Also: when I connect the old hard drive back into the Mac, it recognize that one in disk utility...

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Also: when I connect the old hard drive back into the Mac, it recognize that one in disk utility..
Sounds like the old hard drive is ok, but your MacBook Pro is broken and cannot see internal drives. Did you spill anything?

Hynnen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2015
Sounds like the old hard drive is ok, but your MacBook Pro is broken and cannot see internal drives. Did you spill anything?

When I connect the old hard drive as a external hard drive to another Mac, I get a message that it can´t be repaired. I can just copy from it. No writing to it...

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Some MBP models have developed a pattern of the internal HDD cable failing. It can present as a failed or failing HDD.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
New Mac repair, new issue :p

I´ve repalced a defect hard drive in a MacBook Pro. But the Mac doesn´t recognize the new one.

I have OSX-install on a USB-drive, and when it boots and I open disk utility, there is no hard drive there. Just the USB-drive.

So I tried to connect the new hard drive to the USB (as an external hard drive), and that works great. I managed to install OSX on it to.

But when i assembly it in the Mac again a folder icon with a question mark appears..

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Also: when I connect the old hard drive back into the Mac, it recognize that one in disk utility...

Replace the SATA internal cable which connects the HDD to the logic board.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I swapped in a new SSD this week and ran into the same “folder icon with question mark”. I resolved this by booting into the recovery partition and from the Apple menu selecting the startup disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.