Changed hard drive. Doesn´t recognize it.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hynnen, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Hynnen macrumors newbie

New Mac repair, new issue :p

I´ve repalced a defect hard drive in a MacBook Pro. But the Mac doesn´t recognize the new one.

I have OSX-install on a USB-drive, and when it boots and I open disk utility, there is no hard drive there. Just the USB-drive.

So I tried to connect the new hard drive to the USB (as an external hard drive), and that works great. I managed to install OSX on it to.

But when i assembly it in the Mac again a folder icon with a question mark appears..

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Also: when I connect the old hard drive back into the Mac, it recognize that one in disk utility...

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Sounds like the old hard drive is ok, but your MacBook Pro is broken and cannot see internal drives. Did you spill anything?

3. Hynnen thread starter macrumors newbie

When I connect the old hard drive as a external hard drive to another Mac, I get a message that it can´t be repaired. I can just copy from it. No writing to it...

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Some MBP models have developed a pattern of the internal HDD cable failing. It can present as a failed or failing HDD.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

6. chscag macrumors 68000

Replace the SATA internal cable which connects the HDD to the logic board.

7. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I swapped in a new SSD this week and ran into the same “folder icon with question mark”. I resolved this by booting into the recovery partition and from the Apple menu selecting the startup disk.