Changed iCloud Password. Can I still Activate Lost Mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by borgsauce, Feb 1, 2017.

1. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

If you were to lose an iPad or an iPhone and changed the iCloud login password right away. Would you still be able to lock the device?

Considering the device has no passcode lock enabled and was logged into iCloud using the old password, would it still get locked if I activated Lost mode in iCloud?

Reason I'm asking is coz my son managed to lose the device and I did a dumb thing of straight away changing the icloud password. Then found out an hour later that I had the option of remotely locking the device. I activated Lost Mode but not sure if it would work now when the device is reconnected to wifi.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Password should not make a difference. If it is showing up in the find my iPhone app, you can still do what to want to do to the iPad.

3. borgsauce thread starter macrumors regular

borgsauce

What if whoever found it got the device formatted since it was not password protected, would it require the original Apple ID to go further? I'm sorry these questions sound rather noobish but I am fairly new to the Apple ecosystem. I just want to make sure that who ever finds it either returns it back or owns a paper weight or spare part instead. I had already started the Lost Mode and included my contact details for the finder to return it. So far nothing so I'm guessing they have no good intentions.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

If you had findmyiphone on then they will need your password and email to use it after they restore / format it whatever it's called. If you had find my iPhone off you are screwed. I'm not exactly sure if I'm answering what you are asking because your posts are a bit confusing so disregard if I misunderstood.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You guess of them having no good intentions is good.

My comment was to say that changing the password should not make a difference.

6. borgsauce thread starter macrumors regular

borgsauce

No you answered my inquiry well. I did enable FMI earlier.