Changed MBP in April, is it a good idea to still keep the backup made by SuperDuper?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Jul 27, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. Before I got rid of my SR MBP (2007 model) running Leopard in April, I used SuperDuper to create a clone backup on an external hard drive. Moreover, I used Time Machine to make a backup on an additional drive. When I got the MBP 2010 model (running Snow Leopard), I used migration assistant to move the stuffs originated from my SR MBP to the MBP 2010. It has been 2.5 months and things "seem" to be running fine. Is it ok to remove the backup made by Super Duper and use the drive for other purposes? (For example, clone the new MBP HD or use it to backup my PC, etc). Can you think of any situation that I should still keep the backup made by Super Duper? Thanks.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

What are you using for backups of your current Mac? Are they on another drive? If so then seems to me you don't need the old backups. If not, then use it for backups , TM or Super or otherwise, of your current Mac.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for your advice. I have three external drives. The first one is to store TM backups of the old SR MBP. The second one is to store Super Duper clone of the same SR MBP. The third one is to store TM backups of the new MBP 2010. The one I talked about is the 2nd drive.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Is it ok to remove the backup made by Super Duper and use the drive for other purposes?"

Well, it seems to me one of the essential purposes of "having a clone" of your Mac's internal drive is that the clone represent exactly what you have ON the _current_ drive. That way, if a problem develops with the internal drive, you can boot from the clone and be back in business, and "attack" the problem on the internal and get things right again.

So -- since you now have a NEW Mac, and since it apparently is working just fine, isn't it logical that you "wipe" the external drive clean, and use SuperDuper to clone the contents of the new Mac to the external drive?

That's what I'd do.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030