Changed mind and want photos from iCloud on my phone.

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Kendo, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I formatted my iPhone and had optimized iCloud photo storage turned on so Photos only took up around 400MB of storage space. When I changed my mind, I reformatted the phone again and set my phone to keep the originals. The only problem is that even though I only have 20GB of data, my phone couldn't complete the restore because I didn't have enough space on my 64GB iPhone.

When I looked at the settings, only 12GB of photos were downloaded and I had about 20GB of "ghost data" taking up my storage.

What is the proper way to keep the original photos without my restoration going bonkers? Should I choose optimize until the phone is completely restored, and then select the option of keeping originals so it will slowly download everything? Because doing it from the beginning seems to have screwed up my phone with ghost data.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I, myself, would allow the restore to complete. I would then turn iCloud Photo Library off, delete the photos on the phone, then turn the feature back on with the option I wanted to use. It will download your photos again but you should get the full size photos and everything will be cleaner.