Changed my mind. Definitely pre ordering with Best Buy!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SexyBeast, Jun 14, 2010.

1. SexyBeast macrumors regular

I just got off the phone with my local Best Buy. I was going to pre order through Apple and have it delivered. After talking with Best Buy, I have changed my mind. Best Buy just requires a $50 deposit and you pay the remainder when you pick it up. The phone is guaranteed to be there on the 24th and NO WAITING IN LINE! They set up an appointment time for you to come in and pick up your phone and get it activated. Sounds like a much better idea to me!

2. bub macrumors member

That almost sounds too good to be true! When do their preorders start?

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Cheers! BestBuy seems to be doing things orderly. Where as Apple you'll encounter a huge crowd.

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Thats so tempting. Just preorder and set a time for like noon instead of waking up / not sleeping.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am concerned about that deposit. You are not putting a deposit. You are really buying a gift card to use it on iphone. Also, I am starting to doubt that no 3rd party retailers will take pre-order on white iphones. It seems like there is some issue with white model and apple decided to only take pre-orders from their stores. If this is true, then I have no choice, but to order from apple. I do not want another black iphone.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Rumor has it that white will not be available for weeks.

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I really wanted to do this... but I work on the 24th... and I don't know when they'd set up the appointment for it!

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

dont you love the spin game? Let me guess you saw the modmyi report in the news section of this site and have assumed the rest about apple choosing and blah blah blah. I can almost guarentee that report is WRONG and if it isnt then I would guarantee its ATT that chose to do it that way not apple.

9. dkhenkin macrumors member

Sweet, this settled it for me. Going to Best Buy tom at 9AM!

10. DrDefib macrumors newbie

11. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

That is what I am wondering too. I hope it works first come first serve. The first person to preorder decides their appointment time!

12. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

but why order to have it delivered to the store when you can have the thing delivered to your home? wouldn't that save you time?

13. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Best Buy has been doing this for a while now. They did this with the EVO. They will call you a few days or even a day before launch and set up your appointment. They will give you a lot of different times that you can come on and you just choose one. Don't expect to be the only one there though.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Unless you have all day to sit and wait for it, I would think having an appointment set up and picking it up would be quicker.

15. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Called Best Buy near me. It is first come first serve. (Check with your Best Buy though)

So, whoever was first to preorder, they will call that person first to set up an appointment time. The only thing I can suggest is be near your phone for when they call you. They'll go down the list if you don't answer. They also said that if you can't pick up on release day, they will hold it for you for whenever you make the appointment (next day, next week, whatever...).

Hope this helps someone.

This is the easiest option for me... I have a Best Buy right next to me. :)

16. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Not sure why this is any better than pre-ordering with Apple. It will be delivered on the 24th if you order through Apple's site, no deposit, no waiting etc.

17. Built macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info. Will call my local Best Buy...

18. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

With Apple, Best Buy and AT&T all pre-ordering, do they all handle the upgrade options with AT&T? Will Best buy know I am eligible for an early upgrade and give me the upgrade price, or will I need to order from AT&T (or Apple)? I would prefer Apple, but with Best Buy I get my points.

19. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Deliver to work?

20. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

How about picking it up at 9am instead of waiting all afternoon? ;) Plus, I have to work in the afternoon... this way I know I'll get it opening day! :D

21. rayward macrumors 68000

Only if you sync your iPhone to your work computer, or to a laptop that you can have with you (and connected to the 'net).

22. SexyBeast thread starter macrumors regular

I plan on getting there early tomorrow and possibly waiting in a small line. I live in a city of about 50,000 people, so I don't expect it to be a huge line. Ordering through Best Buy is faster in my opinion than delivery because you don't know when it will come with delivery. It can come anytime between 8am-6pm. Before I found out about Best Buy, my plan was to pre order through Apple and have it shipped. I was going to call in sick to work and get up at 7am and be prepared not to leave my house and wait all day if need be. Now I will have a definite time and I can sleep in and not have to miss work. Well...maybe I'll still call in. I gotta play with the new phone anyway! ;o)

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Like I said... ;)

I don't sit in one place while at work.

24. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Will the UPS/Fed Ex guy check to see if I have a the computer I sync with before letting me sign for the package?

25. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Hahahahaha!