Changed my mind from the new 4K iMac to stick with Late 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peerapon, Oct 19, 2015.

1. peerapon macrumors newbie

peerapon

IMG_1562.JPG

I want to share my decision about buying the new machine.

I have been using MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008 for a while, near 7 years.
    Firstly, it came with 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 1GB+1GB Ram, 250GB original HDD.

In the first 3 years, its phone jack and fans got malfunction, thanks to AppleCare, I'd got a new Logic Board.
    Then on the 4th year, I upgraded Ram from 1 to 4GB made it totally 5GB.
    I never formatted hard drive for perform a clean install on any version of OS X.
    Everything work fine.

Last year, it went slow, not enough for my work anymore, I think I should buy a new one.

I was waiting for a new 21.5" 4K iMac, but when it arrived I got a bit of curious :

1. spec & price
    - 4K screen is the only advantage. (a new accessories too)
    - not a latest generation of Intel CPU.
    - have to add $100 for a 'must have' 1TB Fusion Drive (that just was made low-cost)
    - 'extremely should' add more $200 for a memory upgrade, because it's unable to upgrade later.
    - no USB-C (actually, I just 50% agree with some reviewers for this point.)
    - no dedicate graphic card option for upgrade (I don't care much in this point.)

2. again, price
    - $1499 is OK, but actually we have to pay more for a standard and longtime aspect. At least $300.
    - I live in Thailand, which a currency rate went far high. 10% price increased.

3. old design, I smell a 'new'
    - i know this is not a "new design" year of iMac because a new MacBook steal Jony Ive's time, but may be next year.
    - according to Wikipedia, iMac introduced new design in 1998, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2009 and 2012.
    - So, you saw that, next year is the perfect time.
    - we may see a Retina screen on a new acrylic white bezel (as Magic Accessories gave us a clue) , or no bezel at all.
    - along with a Fusion Drive as a standard spec.

As a long-time using plan, a new 4K iMac's spec & price combination did not moved me, so I need something new.

SO, WHAT ABOUT MY OLD & SLOW MACHINE ?

I turned to question myself, how can I upgrade with this old machine, 15"MBP Late 2008 ?

I found that I can upgrade it to 8GB of Ram and a new SSD instead of old-time HDD.

I suddenly went for them, 1 x 4GB Memory and 240GB SSD, and paid $159.

And this is the first time in 7 years that I perform a clean install on my own Mac.

RESULT ?
    3 things: new memory, new SSD, clean Install. It is going very well.

- first, I add memory to 8GB, I found some problem with starting up OS X on my old HDD, it so slow.
    - I decided to swap to new SSD and perform clean Install by USB Flashdrive.
    - that problem gone.
    - I learned that clean install in this cloud-era was very easy to do.
    - After finish install OS X, I went to Dropbox app, OneNote app, and choose some app that I really use from Mac App Store purchased list. (Your internet should speedy, though.)
    - then I plugged my old HDD with SATA-to-USB adapter and made it as an external HDD. I chose just some that I really need. (iTunes, Download, Movies, Music, Documents)

- I gain many-times speed and more capability to finish all of my needed task.

- now everything works! I'm writing on it.

Additionally, I ordered ExpressCard to USB 3 to add more high speed USB for it.

I think this spec may give me 1-2 more years before a new design iMac comes.

Thanks for reading. feel free to give me comments. :)

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Very nice! 8GB makes SUCH a huge difference from 4GB. I notice that so much on this 2010 I'm currently using coming from my 2011.

4. ooans macrumors 6502

The fact that they put the older CPU and no Thunderbolt 3 on the 21,5" iMac makes me think its possible that the redesign might arrive sooner than later. If those new babies (also the 27") had Thunderbolt 3, then I would say: be prepared to wait a long time, but now it might take only a year or so.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They used the available chips simple as that not all of skylake has been released yet.

6. BrianJ844 macrumors member

Interesting, I have been throwing around the idea of finally replacing my early 2009 uMB but maybe just upgrading it is the way to go. Thanks for the post.