Changes to Child Labor Laws Hurt Farms

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by renewed, Dec 1, 2011.

1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

As if slaughtering horses wasn't bad enough, now Obama wants to mess with the ag industry even more:

Link

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The private sector will ruin itself more than the government ever could.

See Fonterra.

Move to China or Brazil, that's where the future of Farming is. It's dying in the west. Farming is the US is mostly useless in terms of export anyway thanks to Monsanto.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

with how much money are US and EU subsiding their own agriculture industries which results in million of people in poverty in afrika south america etc. ?

oh yeah hundreds of billions per year of taxpayer money

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Have anything else on this other than an opinion piece from bum**** NY?

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Hey! I used to live in bumblef-NY!

Then again, I obviously moved. :p

6. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thank you.

I don't see a problem here. When one of the top 4 complaints they have is:

I stopped reading.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

None of the top four are that awful at all. In fact they seem entirely reasonable. If the agriculture industry is reliant on kids to do these tasks then it needs to change considerably.
    It goes on;

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The Amish don't text, they don't even tractor.

Hard to text when driving four-in-hand on a plow. ;)

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I remember working on a farm when I was 12 back in the real old days.

Life was simpler then. America has lost its backbone since then.

Too bad.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Looks like there is a fair amount of kiss information in that article.

13. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

I hardly think many of you commenting on this even understand farm life or the impact this has on families. The government is regulating what a child can and cannot do. Like iJohn mentioned, what about the Amish. They certainly do not live life by modern day "standards". Heck my grandparents were picking cotton when they were 16 and had been for a few years. One day my grandpa asked her to marry him, they got married at lunch at the local gas station (owner was a Preacher) and went right back to work. They ended up perfectly fine and he even become mayor of a town of 8,000 and ended up owning his own business. She raised 4 beautiful children each of which has at least one child, one being me.

Before you cry for the "poor children texting on tractors" realize that not everyone in the world has to be dropped off to school at 16 with a check for prom and an application for a top 10 University.

Life is different in rural areas but it doesn't mean it's bad. Before you start messing with farmers and their families maybe they should figure out a way to keep city kids from selling dope and beating the **** out of each other in the streets.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Softer targets are easier. City kids shoot back.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yep, you're totally right. One anecdote about your grandfather turning out just fine totally justifies the ca. 75 kids that die each year because of working dangerous jobs on farms. Those 75 kids turned out just fine, just like your grandpa. :rolleyes:

While I don't know enough about this to have a very informed opinion, your arguments against it are laughable. Obviously there aren't going to be any grandchildren of those who died around to argue against you.

16. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Link

So let's take cars away from everyone until they are 21. Oh wait:

Link

So let's take cars away from EVERYONE!

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

Did you read the part in the article you posted stating that children who work on their own parents' farms would not be covered by these regulations? They would still be allowed to work at any age.

These regulations are covering farmers hiring other kids to work on their farms, from what I can tell.

My family owns a farm (850 acres), and has for decades. I don't believe they have a single teenager working there. I'm not sure I would support them hiring kids to work there, either, unless it was for very simple jobs like sweeping or washing equipment or something. I don't think kids have any business driving tractors or doing heavy machinery work when there are plenty of adults looking for work.

18. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

My god... they are acting ... like... a government!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

:rolleyes:
    Please don't make me dig up a facepalm pic. It's too early in the morning...

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That must be it. Everyone who has a different viewpoint doesn't understand the issue like you do.

Or we could tackle both city street violence/illicit drugs and kids being injured/killed on farms concurrently. The two aren't mutually exclusive by any means. I don't understand how you could think there were :confused:.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Obviously there must be a shortage of available labor to work on these farms that is making these "job creators" hire young, unskilled labor. Unemployment is so low that finding someone to pay a living wage to do your work for you is sooooo hard.

Wait a second, there must be another reason these farmers are hiring young kids to operate heavy machinery, go into highly dangerous grain silos, walk around combines and climb around the rafters of the barn. What could it be?

Guess 1. They are better workers than older workers?
    Guess 2. They happily work longer hours than the migrant workers?
    Guess 3. They accept minimum wage.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't know what farming they are depicting in the article. Its not any of our staple crops. Farmers sit on their ass most of the year and bitch about the few weeks they actually have to put in a long day of work. Processes are mostly automated now and driving a combine is a great Jo.. sit on your ass in the a/c all day.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Absolutely and low paid teenage labor is not the future.

It doesn't have anything to do with families and everything to do with protecting children. Do you think those laws were enacted randomly or were they based on injury and death rates and plain ole' common sense? Yeah, all those rules are based on common sense. In other words, people with experience of farming wrote those laws.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

I can assure you that when I went to our farm a few weeks ago, the guys driving the cotton pickers were not just sitting in the A/C all day. After every dump, they had to get out and make sure nothing was caught up and that the picker was ready to go for the next run. They also did any maintenance for broken parts, etc. The driver was FILTHY, as was everyone else on the site.

The equipment and processes are much more automated for large farms, but for the average family farm, they are not using that level of equipment.